Chick integration

What's "clutter" .. . toys🤔
No.
It's things for them to hide behind, perch on and scratch through. Wood chairs/stools, old pallets leaning against the walls, stumps, branches attached to the walls for perching on, organic material for run litter to scratch through.
Flock in run.jpg

I watched most of that video you linked. I wouldn't follow a bit of his advice just because of the way the run looked, the number of birds he is cramming into the coop, the chicken wire enclosure and watching one of the pullets escape it so easily.

brood one is about 3 months old; brood two is maybe three weeks behind them so I'm just wondering if the algorithm is the same with chicks to chicks as chicks to a flock?
Chicks are generally more accepting of other chicks. I've been able to add 7 week olds to other 7 week olds without an integration period, but by that age that's already a little risky. Your 3 month olds are no longer babies and are less likely to accept new additions without any integration period. Doesn't mean you can't try it, but things may not go smoothly.

Looks then like I will let brood 1 go about their business in the coop later today. Brood 2 I will take out there but have them IN their play pen. There is mesh on top so they can see each other.. (Interesting thing is they can see each other from day 1 if arriving here. Brood 1 and 2 are in my sewibg room with brooders next to esch other. So they have been seeing each other all along). I will get a different style pen with a door so in maybe a week 🤷🏾 they can go out and if need to hide can run back in. If. That goes well oerhaos within two weeks they may be let lose inside the coop.

Apparently I am to leave them in the coop for a long while before allowing free range so they will know where to come home to roost.
You will probably have better success with the first 2 sets of chicks if you put them in together. My oldest ones were 11 weeks when I set my chicks (2weeks old, now gone) out with them. My thought was to integrate them together sooner than later. And though mine didn’t have ANYTHING to do with the chicks, I wouldn’t have left them with them alone though. At least not without there being a good barrier between them for the see but no touch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom