Failed integration, so far…

PoppasGrill

Songster
Sep 22, 2023
North Central Florida
We have 26 chicks, 8+ weeks old , that have been in “Look-don’t touch” for 2.5-3 weeks.
Tried letting them get yard time last weekend with poor results.
First thing was the Roosters, started pecking at several of them, and one even tried to mount a chick. We were on hand to stop this , thankfully, and put the chicks back in the coop after only 1/2 hour of yard time.
A few hens tried pecking, but it was half hearted and they didn’t chase the chicks.
Our Tom’s followed the 2 turkey chicks around and were very protective if any chickens got close.
One chick got out during feeding time, without us noticing for about an hour. When we went back out and found her she was still alive, though bloody, with her head pecked severely and might have lost an eye. We don’t know which chickens got ahold of her, but are treating her injuries and have her isolated.
Don’t know if it’s just too many chicks, the last batch was 11 and fully integrated at 7 weeks.
We want to be able to let them free range with the rest of the flock, but not if they are going to get injured.

So you are trying to integrate into a free range situation, correct? No yard/fences once they are released with their elders?

If that's correct, it could be that your free range flock is wandering to range and not actually spending much time watching and adjusting to the newbies...

My flock of 2 year old hens didn’t fully accept my pullet until they were 17 or so weeks. They were in a see but no touch situation for over 11 weeks but the hens just beat up on the pullets whenever they were with each other. Sometimes a flock isn’t as welcoming to newcomers and it will take a lot more time.

They may feel as though there's competition over resources, such as living space and mates. Chickens typically aren't violent at all until they're competing over something

I cannot see that you have done anything wrong. I don't think the number of chicks has anything to do with it either. Free range means they have a lot of room. To me it is strange that the roosters are the problem, with mine it is usually a hen. A rooster should be protecting the flock. Each flock is different though and you are looking at them. How old are these roosters? Are they mature or still immature cockerels?

Since it is the roosters that are the problem can you isolate the one or ones causing the problem so the chicks can better get their feet on the ground? Let the rest get used to each other. What normally happens with mine is that the chicks quickly learn to stay away from the adults and avoid them. If they enter the personal space of an adult they are likely to get pecked or worse. So they set up as two sub-flocks. Both free ranging but with the younger avoiding the older.

I've never had one but people I trust to see what they see on here have had a chicken (often a hen) that would seek out immature chickens to do them bodily harm. I don't know if that is what happened to your individual chick or not. It is possible that chick got lonely by itself and invaded the personal space of an adult, then got attacked. If you can identify the instigator(s) and isolate them for a while or even get rid of them this could work itself out. Or let them out to free range at different times for a while.

I cannot see that you have done anything wrong. I don't think the number of chicks has anything to do with it either. Free range means they have a lot of room. To me it is strange that the roosters are the problem, with mine it is usually a hen. A rooster should be protecting the flock. Each flock is different though and you are looking at them. How old are these roosters? Are they mature or still immature cockerels?

Since it is the roosters that are the problem can you isolate the one or ones causing the problem so the chicks can better get their feet on the ground? Let the rest get used to each other. What normally happens with mine is that the chicks quickly learn to stay away from the adults and avoid them. If they enter the personal space of an adult they are likely to get pecked or worse. So they set up as two sub-flocks. Both free ranging but with the younger avoiding the older.

I've never had one but people I trust to see what they see on here have had a chicken (often a hen) that would seek out immature chickens to do them bodily harm. I don't know if that is what happened to your individual chick or not. It is possible that chick got lonely by itself and invaded the personal space of an adult, then got attacked. If you can identify the instigator(s) and isolate them for a while or even get rid of them this could work itself out. Or let them out to free range at different times for a while.
Our hens free range all day, we have the property to not use a run, per say, we open the coops in the morning and they put themselves away at night.
We never had anything other than minor bullying until the pullets learned to stay away from the old ladies.
I’ve been wanting to do a rooster coop to give the ladies a break, but untill then the Roos roost with the ladies and range with them.

Back
Top Bottom