Chick integration

Interesting thing is they can see each other from day 1 if arriving here. Brood 1 and 2 are in my sewibg room with brooders next to esch other. So they have been seeing each other all along).

That probably counts as see-don't-touch

I would put both groups in the new coop at the same time.
No territoriality issues that way.
Still use multiple feeder and water stations and some 'clutter'.

I have had excellent results by following @aart's advice on many aspects of chicken-keeping. :)

He says they flew back down and went back over to the other chickens. 25 of them so I suppose while doing some this happened more ofnthem than him. He says it was indeed dark out there. It is 10:44 p.m.
That's a lot of chicks to wrangle.
Eventually they'll figure it out.

They'll get bolder as they get adjusted over the next week or two. :)
Sunday, almost noon, and they are a bit more spread out. Still not in the area of their roosts. I have bamboo. I think I want to get them 2 x 4's. I saw 5' for about $35.00 on eBay yesterday. Yikes, i'd need two or three; seems awfully 'spensive. Oh well. My babies need 'em. I may be able to get away with two as one or two of the bamboo is fine. One we harvested seems a lil slim.

I am glad brahmas grow slowly. My plan is to build them a coop of their own. They will definitely need 2 x4's for roosting.

Oh, I added a pallet to the coop yesterday. Now for a mirror and xylophone.

Sunday, almost noon, and they are a bit more spread out. Still not in the area of their roosts. I have bamboo. I think I want to get them 2 x 4's. I saw 5' for about $35.00 on eBay yesterday. Yikes, i'd need two or three; seems awfully 'spensive. Oh well. My babies need 'em. I may be able to get away with two as one or two of the bamboo is fine. One we harvested seems a lil slim.

I am glad brahmas grow slowly. My plan is to build them a coop of their own. They will definitely need 2 x4's for roosting.

Oh, I added a pallet to the coop yesterday. Now for a mirror and xylophone.

Bamboo might be too slippery to make good roosts.

All mind are natural branches because scrub oak and pine saplings are weeds on this property. Pity I can't teleport a couple your way. :D

Bamboo might be too slippery to make good roosts.

All mind are natural branches because scrub oak and pine saplings are weeds on this property. Pity I can't teleport a couple your way. :D
Ohh, thank you for the thought though. Made me smile. With all the woods surrounding us you'd think I could find natural branches. Well, it's mostly Georgia pine. The branches that have fallen seem kinda slim to me. Actually saw the whole bamboo thing somewhere on YT I believe. There is a forest of bamboo behind my job so we got 'em.

Was gonna do another thread, but actually what I was just thinking fits in this area.

Yaw'll know we have more chicks coming :duc in October. Well, last night I asked to make a switch from a dark brahma pullet (already have 5 from the last hatchery mistake) to . . . drum roll . . . Green Queen pullet. So, joining the Bubble Bunch (my flock) will be:

Light Brahma Female 1
Speckled Sussex Female 1
Bantam Black Frizzle Cochin Male 1
Green Queen Female 1
Cream Legbar Female 2

Hi. That price was on eBay. We live in the "kun"try, small town with nothing almost. Not even a bowling alley, theatre or dry cleaners let alone a home improvement store. You had me laughing for a moment.
eBay, CL...much the same <shrugs>
I have to drive 30 miles to get to one of those stores.
Would rather spend the gas money than pay $35 for 5 feet of 2x4.

I was gonna say something like @aart about the 2x4’s. There is NO way I would spent $34 dollars for that kind of lumber. They aren’t even true 2x4s anymore. Whoever posted that add is so cute 🤣. I would look for a Lowes, Menards, Ace Hardware, anything like that for the lumber.

This is at my local Menards for a 2x4 6’. A 20’ is only like $20.

Attachments

• 2DEB61F5-3696-4F7C-B488-2EEFDE315959.jpeg
    2DEB61F5-3696-4F7C-B488-2EEFDE315959.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom