Chick is dying...*New Question about culling*

anyone? This little baby is still struggling...
hmm.png

Awww, so sad !!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

At this point you have to decide whats best for the chick !!!

We/us as animal owners need to make the best decion and not let our animals suffer. I know its hard, b/c we think just maybe it will be ok or what if it I cull and it would of been ok !!

But, at this point you know the chick is in pain and you have no clue how to treat or even if it can be treated. So I would say go ahead and cull to help the little one out.

Unless you know for 100% sure the chick is going to get better !!

I asked hubby a few weeks back why our sickly/old hen wouldnt die on her own, I mean she should of been dead weeks ago but was holding on for some reason, he replyed back somtimes animals hold on for reasons and just need a little help moving on !! She ended up getting real bad over the next week and he culled.

As far as how to do it is up to you, is there anyone that could do it for you ?? I wish I could send hubby to you so he could do it for you !!! I guess if you CANT do it and CANT find anyone to help you, you could pay the vet to put it down for you (not what most would do, but would get the job done if you cant) Good luck
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, this will do it. We use Acepromazine. About a 1/2 cc in the breast area will expire the chick. We do this all the time, it is very humane. I have always been amazed at how many chicks die within the first week. We do our best to get every chick off to a good start, but alas, some just do not make it.

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the encouragement, rimshoes. it's good to know that this can just happen with young chicks. I had company today and they showed up an hour early
barnie.gif
. I didn't know how to excuse myself to go euthanize a chick, so it had to die naturally...which didn't take too much longer.

I hate that it went on so long struggling to breathe. I will use this as a learning experience, though, since I now know how to handle the situation. I think the tranq overdose will be the easiest way for me to handle putting a chick down. I'm definitely not knocking the other suggested methods since I'm sure they are quick and humane...This city girl is just not ready for that, yet.
wink.png

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Some chicks just dont thrive, its part of the mean animal world !! Nothing you did wrong, just wasnt meant to be !!

Heres a few more hugs for yah....
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I'm sorry about your chick. I'm like you I don't think I would want to do it either. The traq would probably be the most humane if I ever have to. Best wishes with the rest of your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom