chick is fully blind due to fowl pox. should i force feed it?

Quote:
its dry pox. the vet said the antibiotics were for roundworms (which i found in their droppings) and some bacteria of some sort (i forgot). she did mention it wont do anything about the virus.

anyway, Ill just go with the wet food and come back in a few days to update

I nursed chickens through fowl pox last year - not chicks, but chickens a few months old. Was surprised by one that pulled through with lots of nursing care and antibiotics for secondary bacterial infection. One of my chickens was so sick with wet pox and had such a nasty swollen tongue she could hardly swallow and her eyes were crusting shut. I cleaned her eyes gently with warm water on cotton balls a couple of times each day and applied ophthalmic ointment to try to keep them from crusting over. To get fluids in her, I used a syringe with no needle. Dribbled water, Gatorade, and later buttermilk into her mouth. I don't believe she would have survived without the supportive care; now I can't tell which chicken it was that I nursed through.

Also, on the advice of a poultry vet, I vaccinated all of the chickens in the flock that did not already have signs of fowl pox. From now on, I will be vaccinating before they have a chance to get the disease.

Quote:
i would like to do the same for my unaffected ones, but it's just a real pain trying to catch them. theyre free range and theyve been that way their whole life. they arent used to me holding them. do you have any ideas as to how i should catch them?

I suspect that one a couple of mine have dry fowl pox as well. I called the vet this morning and asked them what I should do, they are pets, culling is not an option here. It's not bad or anything, just noticed black spots and dryness on their combs over the past few months. Thought it was a touch of frostbite over the winter, but now suspect pox. Vet does not carry the vaccines. And she said once they have it, I can't get rid of it without getting rid of the birds. Unfortunately, I have three 1 week old chicks brooding in the garage that will be moving out with them soon and I certainly don't want them to get it. This really sucks! The ones who have it don't seem to be in pain and like I said it's not bad or anything. What should I do to help them out? Are there meds or certain vitamins I should add to their diets to keep them healthy while they are dealing with the pox? They are on reg. chicken feed, and I add some granite crumbles and wild bird seed to their yard fo scratching around. They get a bit of scraps a couple times a week. Any suggestions?

black spots does not necessarily mean fowl pox, especially if they've had them for 3 months. normally fowl pox only lasts about 30 days and it disappears,then your chickens will be immune to it. also,you would know if they had fowl pox,you'd see yellowish scabs on their combs. i'd put some neosporin on their combs,the black spots could be bug bites of some sort, or most likely being pecked by another chicken.

kronikjoe--Catch your chickens at night while they're roosting. Chickens are very good to not move when it's dark. For any particularly flighty ones, bring a flashlight & shine it directly at them while picking them up. Then they are blinded by the light in their eyes & don't see well enough to figure an escape.

If it's hard to tell your chickens apart, it may be a good idea to mark each one as you vaccinate it. If you do them all in one night, maybe a piece of masking tape partway around one of their legs (Not all the way around, because if they don't get it pulled off, the tape could restrict circulation). They will probably pull the tape off themselves the next day. I haven't tried this idea so it may or may not work in practice...

Best wishes!

hi dont cull just yet we have just gorn through this are the eyes just glued shut or the spots stoping it from opening keep with the water they drink more water when they have the pox i had to open his beck and put his food on it he was very happy i gave hime chick starter and yogurt mixed and egg it was hard work but it made it once they have had it they cant get it a gain keep them away from mozzies thats how they get it good luck he will lose a lot of weight
Hello
I’ve read your post; I have a bantam frizzle with pox very bad case within 3days head skin area has swelled immensely overnight eyes she cannot see; I have purchased Avicline which a friend who houses many chooks and dealt with pox recommended and it was the only product I could purchase in stock imediately. i had another Chook. With pox nowhere near as bad as this and went away in its own.
this Chook has a severe case. She is happy to be hand fed the Avicline mixed with water via a straw with a scoop on the end.
Eating regular food not willing; will eat mashed milk biscuits via straw sparingly... not much eating. More happy for the water hand fed.
I understand the pox will just go away; and greatful when it does! But what happens with her eyes completely covered
Do you have a success story?
Thankyou

Back
Top Bottom