Chick is getting pecked.

etkorzen

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2019
Howdy,

I have a 5-6 week old Serama chick that has been getting pecked on the head by other chicks. We've treated the wound and have since seperated him from the rest of the chicks (cage within our outdoor brooder box ,see the attached image). We currently have been letting mama hen do all the work but tonight it's supposed to get down to 43 degrees. I didn't want to toally seperate the chick from everyone but should we bring him inside? I'm worried without the mama hen's warmth he wont do well on his own. Do we need to set up a heat lamp if we bring him inside?
image1.jpeg
IMG_4749.jpg
We're new to this, thanks for your help!

Can you wash off the area and cover it with Blu kote? The area will attract the birds to peck it because it's red. I would put it back with Mama so that it will be cared for and you don't have to stress about it not being warm enough. If they still peck at it, bring it inside so it's warm and maybe use a heating pad or warmer plate. I just think it'll get lonely not being with everyone else.

Howdy,

I have a 5-6 week old Serama chick that has been getting pecked on the head by other chicks. We've treated the wound and have since seperated him from the rest of the chicks (cage within our outdoor brooder box ,see the attached image). We currently have been letting mama hen do all the work but tonight it's supposed to get down to 43 degrees. I didn't want to toally seperate the chick from everyone but should we bring him inside? I'm worried without the mama hen's warmth he wont do well on his own. Do we need to set up a heat lamp if we bring him inside?View attachment 1924325 View attachment 1924326 We're new to this, thanks for your help!
Side note: I love your boots

Back
Top Bottom