Chick is having balance issues

Clayfoot

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
Brand new here and just finished up my intro post. I've been a lurker for the past year, which is the entire time we have had chickens. We have 3 Barred Rocks, 2 hens and a roo. One of the hens went broody and ended up with 3 eggs that all hatched. The first chick disappeared from the coop/run without a trace at 4 days old, so we brought the other 2 inside when they hatched to put in the brooder with the bantam Cochins the wife brought home. The last one to hatch has always spent most of her time laying down and has had trouble balancing. We have tried a few things that haven't completely works, but her head and neck no longer shake when extended. I grabbed the template below from the sticky in this section and filled it out.

1) What type of bird , age and weight - Barred Rock, approx. 5 weeks old, same weight as her healthy day older sister

2) What is the behavior, exactly - Currently, wobbly or unsteady when walking, spend most of the time laying down, easily knocked over by the other chicks, has been found upside down and unable to upright herself twice now. Previously, her head and neck would shake when extended, but would immediately stop if supporting even the tip of her beak in the slightest. She seems to be feathering out normally. When picked up, she straighten her legs out like she in mid jump and stretches her neck out while trying to grab the edged of my hand with her wings. She will cling on to anything she can get her feet on for dear life and not uncurl her toes unless I uncurl them for her, but when walking in the brooder she walks normally with her feet flat. She just seems very unsteady most of the time.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - Since hatching

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma? - No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation? -
She was the last to hatch and momma hen was getting up for food and water and to stretch more. When I found her in the nest, momma was out and chick still had some dampness down her back.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all? - We started all the chicks, both the feed store chicks and her sister, on medicated feed and save-a-chick electrolytes. After thinking that she may have a possible thiamine deficiency, we switched to non-medicated feed. We also switched to using Rooster Booster in her water and then to Durvet Vitamin powder in her water. They have had chick grit available as well. She eats and drinks just fine, other that being a little wobbly. We have also been putting a drop or 2 of VetRX on her water when it gets refreshed.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - I have seen both normal and diarrhea.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - Daily treatment of VetRX on beak, Rooster Booster in water, switched to Durvet Vitamin in water, even started daily treatment of approx 1/2-1 drop of pet CBD oil (whatever I can get her to take without forcing her beak open).

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - Treat completely myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - N/A

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - Medium pine shavings in a large tote in a bathtub. Heat lamp hanging overhead with thermometer in the cold side, floor temperature is now around 85* and closer to 90* on the opposite side of the brooder. Food and water are now slightly elevated on wood blocks so they don't step in them as much.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated! We were devastated when the first chick just up and vanished and now we've been struggling to come up with anything concrete with this chick. Since her and her sister were hatched from our flock, they are the only 2 that are unmedicated, but her sister is growing up just fine with no issues. We have even observed the Cochins huddling around her at times and the one chunkier Cochin (Frizzle, we think) has been seen tucking the wobbly chick under her wing.

This sounds like splay leg, there’s lots of tutorials on YouTube how to fix it including the most popular rubber band method. It can cause weaknesses in lots of other tendons which may explain the neck issue. However it could also be a more serious neurological issue but I think it’s just a case of splay leg. Can you get a picture?

This sounds like splay leg, there’s lots of tutorials on YouTube how to fix it including the most popular rubber band method. It can cause weaknesses in lots of other tendons which may explain the neck issue. However it could also be a more serious neurological issue but I think it’s just a case of splay leg. Can you get a picture?
I could get a picture, but she keeps her legs under her like normal. She's never been observed to kick them out to both sides, nor behind her. She had been seen before, when younger, to have both out to one side, but would pull them both back under herself and lay normally if given a little nudge. Any specific portion of the leg I should focus on photographing?

I could get a picture, but she keeps her legs under her like normal. She's never been observed to kick them out to both sides, nor behind her. She had been seen before, when younger, to have both out to one side, but would pull them both back under herself and lay normally if given a little nudge. Any specific portion of the leg I should focus on photographing?
Maybe when she’s trying to grasp onto something? I’ve never personally seen a case of splay legs but I’m hoping she doesn’t have a more serious case of something else

Can you post a video of the chick? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.
Photos of the brooder?

At 5 weeks old they still have heat at 85-90F?
Too hot for 5 week olds.

The trembling, extended neck, etc. sounds like it could be neurological, but if she was last hatch and has been like this pretty much the whole time, it may be a developmental issue. Sounds like Mom had already moved on and left her, that happens sometimes for a reason.

I'd give her direct vitamin therapy instead of relying on her to drink. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg for the uptake of E. See that she's drinking well and eating her normal chick starter.

I haven't gotten a picture or video just yet (summer cold with a vengeance!), but the wife picked her up and spent some time with her today and feels like it may be more like an involuntary spasm. When she was holding her, she said the chick would randomly grasp with one for or the other, causing her to lose balance. I feel like the grasping may be more of a reaction to starting to lose balance, like she is just trying to do what she can to catch herself.

I just looked at the brooder temp by week chart again and I'll be pulling the heat lamp entirely. I have had it suspended at an angle about 4' above the brooder floor, but the house stays at about 78* in the summer.

I haven't gotten a picture or video just yet (summer cold with a vengeance!), but the wife picked her up and spent some time with her today and feels like it may be more like an involuntary spasm. When she was holding her, she said the chick would randomly grasp with one for or the other, causing her to lose balance. I feel like the grasping may be more of a reaction to starting to lose balance, like she is just trying to do what she can to catch herself.

I just looked at the brooder temp by week chart again and I'll be pulling the heat lamp entirely. I have had it suspended at an angle about 4' above the brooder floor, but the house stays at about 78* in the summer.
Yeah that definitely sounds neurological

Reducing the heat sounds good. At 5 weeks, they should be acclimating to the outdoors, is your coop not ready?
Charts are a good guideline, but behavior is best. I brood chicks outside. Usually with a heat plate or pad. They have that one little warm spot and the rest can be cold/cool.

I'd try the vitamin therapy and see if that makes a difference.

I'd give her direct vitamin therapy instead of relying on her to drink. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg for the uptake of E. See that she's drinking well and eating her normal chick starter.

Reducing the heat sounds good. At 5 weeks, they should be acclimating to the outdoors, is your coop not ready?
Kinda. We have 5 buff Orpingtons and 2 polish (one is a young roo, the other is questionable) that we are currently integrating outside. We have them in a 10x13 run butted up against our 3 adult barred rocks 6x10 run. Hopefully they will be one flock by the beginning of next week. These 2 barred rock chicks are about 2 weeks younger than the bantam cochins they are brooding with.

I did manage to give the shaky chick (Dixie) a full drop of hemp seed oil last night and she has been more active this morning. We're going to try to do that daily. I found Interfarma Supertron B12 (with other B vitamins plus more vitamins) that I'll get and try. She eats and drinks fine, so we'll see if we can't get her to eat some boiled egg, but picking her up stresses her out.

Kinda. We have 5 buff Orpingtons and 2 polish (one is a young roo, the other is questionable) that we are currently integrating outside. We have them in a 10x13 run butted up against our 3 adult barred rocks 6x10 run. Hopefully they will be one flock by the beginning of next week. These 2 barred rock chicks are about 2 weeks younger than the bantam cochins they are brooding with.

I did manage to give the shaky chick (Dixie) a full drop of hemp seed oil last night and she has been more active this morning. We're going to try to do that daily. I found Interfarma Supertron B12 (with other B vitamins plus more vitamins) that I'll get and try. She eats and drinks fine, so we'll see if we can't get her to eat some boiled egg, but picking her up stresses her out.
Hemp oil can do wonders. Good thinking

Back
Top Bottom