Chick is having balance issues

So, after doing a little research, Hypovitaminosis B2 sounds like what your baby has. Not saying for sure, but it’s just a guess. Definitely get her on that vitamins b12 asap

I found Interfarma Supertron B12 (with other B vitamins plus more vitamins) that I'll get and try.
I'd go to Walmart, CVS, etc and get bottle of Vitamin E and B-Complex.
The Superton has B12 doesn't contain any B1.
There are 8 "B Vitamins" which you want, but you want B1 to help with neurological symptoms. This is the reason why I suggested the BComplex.
It also only has 1.33IU Vitamin E which is not much.

But if that's what you have, then go for it.
Hope she gets better.
I'd give her direct vitamin therapy instead of relying on her to drink. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg for the uptake of E.
Supplement Facts:
Guaranteed analysis per ml
Vitamin A1000 IU
Vitamin D33.3 IU
Vitamin E1.33 IU
Vitamin K93 mg
Vitamin B21 mg
Vitamin B6333 mcg
Folic Acid333 mcg
Vitamin B25 mcg
Biotin2 mcg
Pantothenic Acid2 mg
Calcium1 mg
Iron11.7 mg
https://interfarma.us/products/supertronb12-roosters#:~:text=Supplement Facts:,11.7 mg

I'd go to Walmart, CVS, etc and get bottle of Vitamin E and B-Complex.
The Superton has B12 doesn't contain any B1.
There are 8 "B Vitamins" which you want, but you want B1 to help with neurological symptoms. This is the reason why I suggested the BComplex.
It also only has 1.33IU Vitamin E which is not much.

But if that's what you have, then go for it.
Hope she gets better.

Supplement Facts:
Guaranteed analysis per ml
Vitamin A1000 IU
Vitamin D33.3 IU
Vitamin E1.33 IU
Vitamin K93 mg
Vitamin B21 mg
Vitamin B6333 mcg
Folic Acid333 mcg
Vitamin B25 mcg
Biotin2 mcg
Pantothenic Acid2 mg
Calcium1 mg
Iron11.7 mg
https://interfarma.us/products/supertronb12-roosters#:~:text=Supplement Facts:,11.7 mg

I haven't purchased it yet, but I'll grab a bottle of B complex instead. I've found some in liquid form with a dropper as I don't think we will be able to get her to eat solo on a daily basis.

So, after doing a little research, Hypovitaminosis B2 sounds like what your baby has. Not saying for sure, but it’s just a guess. Definitely get her on that vitamins b12 asap
I'm not certain that is it either. She can move her toes just fine and keeps them spread out, unless she is trying to grab something due to losing balance. I keep forgetting to mention that she acts like her head is heavier than her butt. She is doing a bit better again today after getting a full drop of hemp seed oil in her beak last night.

I haven't purchased it yet, but I'll grab a bottle of B complex instead. I've found some in liquid form with a dropper as I don't think we will be able to get her to eat solo on a daily basis.

I'm not certain that is it either. She can move her toes just fine and keeps them spread out, unless she is trying to grab something due to losing balance. I keep forgetting to mention that she acts like her head is heavier than her butt. She is doing a bit better again today after getting a full drop of hemp seed oil in her beak last night.
Well, good luck! I hope you can fix it

I don't see why she would need to be eating solo, she should be eating chick starter with her flock. She can stay with her flock, just take her out and direct dose her daily with the vitamins.
All the chicks can have a bit of egg as a treat if you wish. The egg is to help with the uptake of E.

I thought I'd share an update. I ordered a B complex vitamin and added some of the CBD oil to it so she only had to have one dropper in her face in the morning. I was only giving her 1 drop every morning and started to give her a few drops each time. We've tapped her toes flat 3 times total, but it seems like she old enough now that the last time didn't really help. She and her sister are now outside in the run with the bantam chicks they were brood with. We had her in one of those little chicken/rabbit hutch with its own little run. I kept her in it for awhile because the bantams immediately started pecking her, but let her out late last week and has been doing well with them (she was ANGRY that she was separated). She is still wobbly on her feet and doesn't stand straight up, still acting like her head is heavier than her tail, but has started catching herself more often than not when she stumbles. I still put her in the enclosure in the hutch at night, with the door blocked so she can't roll down the ramp, and get her out every morning and give her the B complex/CBD drops. We check on her frequently throughout the day and still occasionally find her stuck on her side with some of her wing feathers caught between her toes and her other leg straight out behind her, or upside down, almost always with her sister standing next to her for moral support. I observed her flip over once and it's a summersault, like losing her balance and flipping tail over head. This morning, I observed probably the more common cause on her getting stuck with a leg sticking out behind her...the dominate of the 2 bantam roos mounted her, so I shoo'd him off (he's become very friendly and actively seeks or engagement with him). The second time i checked on her she was sick on her side again, but righted herself for the first time in her own after I stepped into the run. She even wobbled to me last night when I went to put her to bed (it was a little later than normal and she was upset that the other chicks were roasting on the hutch and she couldn't get there). We're hopeful that she'll walk herself out of it in time with the vitamins and exercise.

It would be great if you can get a video of her.
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

It does sound like she's making some improvements. You are giving the Vitamin E as well?

It may be a good idea to house her with pullets. Cockerels will take advantage of the weak, so with her being in a pen with 2 cockerels, that may not be the best place for her to be.

It would be great if you can get a video of her.
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

It does sound like she's making some improvements. You are giving the Vitamin E as well?

It may be a good idea to house her with pullets. Cockerels will take advantage of the weak, so with her being in a pen with 2 cockerels, that may not be the best place for her to be.
I will have to try to get a video. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to separate her very well at the moment. She gets noticably upset about it and it agitates her sister. The adults are currently acclimating to the 5 new buffs and 2 pols (one is a target ineffective roo, but our big roo has decided he's ok now) in their separate run and coop that this run is butted up against (for integration purposes). We noticed an improvement when letting her out of the hutch run and into the larger run the hutch is in. I am contemplating a few things, including putting the dominant bantam roo in the hutch. The subordinate bantam roo is very well behaved and skittish (he was the most adamant about being held before they went outside). I'm thinking about getting splints for her feet and/or making her a wheelchair with rubber casters so she can still move around over the terrain in the run. And yes, I mixed the vitamin E/hemp oil into the B vitamin complex so I'm only sticking one dropper in her face. She has been fighting me pretty well trying to give her drops, unless she gets stressed and holds her break open, then I can get a few drops in and close it for her.

Edited for typos

Last edited:
Video from yesterday. She had a couple of bad balance days, which I feel happens more when I've found that she's flipped upsidedown it gotten stuck on her side in the hutch and slept like that. Last night when I checked on her after dark, to make sure she was sleeping with her feet under her, she was, BUT, somehow I missed the latch when I locked her door. I found her this morning outside the elevated hutch and about 4-5 feet from that little loft door. I was very surprised that she managed to get down AND that far away from it before getting stuck on her side. We're going to try putting the dominate bantam roo in the hutch today and I'll be picking up supplies to make her a wheelchair. Hopefully this media link works!

Likely it's Marek's disease, but I'd keep trying the vitamin therapy to see if that helps.
1/4 tablet B-Complex, 400IU Vitamin E and some egg daily.

Separating the cockerels is a good idea. Young males can be a pain. I very rarely separate pullets/hens, they have a hard time re-integrating (pecking order and all). Cockerels/Roosters usually don't have that problem at all, so housing them separate and putting them with the girls for a few hours each morning for a week then putting them back into their own pens when fertile eggs are wanted can work well.

If she can still move about under her own power, then I'd let her as long as she can. A sling or wheelchair may be helpful, but she may lose all ability to move about as well.

Back
Top Bottom