Chick is losing feathers and the skin looks weird, please help!!

catejams, is she broody? They sit on a nest and won't come off but once a day and they pull out all the feathers on their underside to put their skin against the eggs if they are there. Does she growl at you or puff up at you?

She has been sitting in our nesting box for basically the whole day and her underside is featherless and bare. I have no clue if it is a bug like lice or mites or if she is sick we something. There are chemicals that we could use to treat any bugs that may be on her, but I would not like to put nasty chemicals on her. People recommend a bath to wash away the bugs but I fear she will get too cold and time for that is limited. She does make an awful noise when I touch her and she seems to not want to use her legs much. I am dearly worried and if you could answer these questions and give me advice that would be splendid.
Thanks a ton,
Cate

She has been sitting in our nesting box for basically the whole day and her underside is featherless and bare. I have no clue if it is a bug like lice or mites or if she is sick we something. There are chemicals that we could use to treat any bugs that may be on her, but I would not like to put nasty chemicals on her. People recommend a bath to wash away the bugs but I fear she will get too cold and time for that is limited. She does make an awful noise when I touch her and she seems to not want to use her legs much. I am dearly worried and if you could answer these questions and give me advice that would be splendid.
Thanks a ton,
Cate

You are describing the perfect broody hen. She may sit there for 3 weeks or so. If she has no eggs to sit on, just pick her up and put her outside every time you see her.

She's not sick. Just wants to be a mommy

Back
Top Bottom