Chick is making clicking noises and weird behavior!! Help!!

lovemychicks7

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 29, 2013
Hi , one of my chicks started making a clicking noise last night. She isnt making the noise today
wee.gif
(i gave her egg yolks) but she stands with her chest puffed out and isnt as active as she used to be. Her poop is watery sometimes and solid other times. She sneezes a lot. She is breathing faster than normal. When i got up to check on her this morning she was shaking.
old.gif
She feels kind of light ( i dont know if its just me or if she really does feel lighter) She is about 2 1/2 weeks old and i havent ben using a special feed or anything. She is the only one with the symptoms. Her old bedding used to be sand but last night i changed it to the pads that are in car dealer ships to absorb oil(my dad is a mechanic) . I changed it because it was always getting wet and getting in the water. i seperated her from the other chicks once i heard the clicking noise she was making. i thought she had coccidiosis but im not sure. Does it sound like coccidiosis or something else... if it is coccidiosis i was going to get powder corid 20% at walmart (is this a good idea) also her water container isnt very big so i cant fit a galon in it..These arent my first chicks but i havent seen this before... she is a white plymouth rock and i have 2 other ones. they were shipped when they were 1 day old. please help me... i already lost a hen to a hawk and i cant loose another one
hit.gif
i was up all night last night til 3 doing researh
caf.gif
and im almost positive its coccidiosis.
idunno.gif
thanks!

someone please give me some advice soon any disease that chicks get at this age can kill them fast or if you dont know what it is then give me advise on what to do

Did you follow through with trying the cocci treatment? If so, did it help at all? Are there any other symptoms? Is the chick still eating, drinking, walking around? Are the chicks feathers fluffed up? Any sneezing or runny nose or eye bubbles? Any signs of paralysis?

The more info you can give...the more people can help you. There is no such thing as too much info, when trying to self diagnose.

How is the chick doing today?

im leaving right now to get the medication and yes the chick is sneezing i just asked the question this morning so i havent started the medication! thanks! ill let you know how it goes

im leaving right now to get the medication and yes the chick is sneezing i just asked the question this morning so i havent started the medication! thanks! ill let you know how it goes
Sneezing can sometimes be a sign of a respiratory infection, although cocci could be a problem if the birds' immune system is compromised by a respiratory infection. Some people say not to give both antibiotics and the meds for cocci at the same time, yet I know of people that have done so, with no ill affects.

You are very right about young chicks going down fast, so please keep us updated with any symptoms and we all can try to help.

Best of luck and hope your chick improves soon!

thanks and the walmart i went to doesnt have corid in stock so im trying to figure out where to get it... for the respiritory problem would duramycin work? im going to call a vet and see what they think i should get

Sneezing can sometimes be a sign of a respiratory infection, although cocci could be a problem if the birds' immune system is compromised by a respiratory infection. Some people say not to give both antibiotics and the meds for cocci at the same time, yet I know of people that have done so, with no ill affects.

You are very right about young chicks going down fast, so please keep us updated with any symptoms and we all can try to help.

Best of luck and hope your chick improves soon!
im now thinking its aspergillus and i read you can put garlic in the water and they will feel better

Do you have a tractor supply center near you? You can get the antibiotic there, as well as the corrid...if it's a fungal infection, you need to treat for the fungus, garlic is NOT going to work...it MIGHT work as a preventative, but after getting an "infection", the proper medications need to be given. Your feed store also might carry the meds.

im now thinking its aspergillus and i read you can put garlic in the water and they will feel better
I think we need more information about what is going on before anything can be decided. I doubt it will be aspergillus. Are you using white vinegar to clean where these chicks are and can you tell me where they are being kept?

they are being kept in a plastic container with sand in the bottom...sand is always getting in the water bowl btw and no im noot using white vinigar to clean.. i just take the sand out and put new sand in

Back
Top Bottom