Chick is part out but still with a yolk! GASP!!Catastrophe Thwarted!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickfillhay, Mar 23, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Songster

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    My chick was working hard to come out. But the membrane was dried out so I intervened. Thats when I noticed the yolk attached to his backside was still quite large!!YUCK!!
    So I got really warm water and kept him wet. I cut away what I could of the egg so as not to hurt him and covered it with the wet cloth.
    I then waited all day long until 2:30 am hoping he would finish forming and absorbing the yolk to no avail. I thought he would be dead by morning. [​IMG] I even thought about putting him down myself. But because i did not know how to humanely I left him be till morning. THEN SURPRISE!! [​IMG] This morning I looked at him expecting to bury him but he is just fine for now. He absorbed most of the yolk during the night. So I carefully picked him up and soaked the backside. Then I cut away most of the shell surrounding the yolk and cut away the membrane glued to his back!
    That was at 9:am. He/She has since lost most of that stuff and is moving around. Still learning to walk but keeping up with the other two chicks! I now have two more pips. And four other eggs that haven't done anything yet. [​IMG]
    TAKING PICS NOW. WILL POST SOON

2. Joy1

Joy1 Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Hope he/she is ok.

3. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Songster

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    For now IT is very active. Still trying to walk.
    There is a small amount of stuff on his backside. In the mean time two other are trying to hatch. The membrane is dry on both of them. I picked the shell a little bit and put them on a pad soaked with water. I also wet the membrane a little bit to help. But thats all I'm willing to do for now.

4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Songster

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Aren't they tough? Congrats!

5. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Songster

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    No change! [​IMG] They're still trying to hatch! Membrane dried again. I can't up the humidity any more. I just keep wetting the pad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by