Chick isn't growing...

Feb 17, 2022
These two hatched on the same day, March 30th, the one doesn't seem to be growing very well at all. And chirps real often unless I hold him/her. My daughter already named him/her, Spice because he/she is the color of cinnamon. Any ideas? I don't have the money at the moment for nutri-drench.

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_091849495.jpg
    IMG_20220410_091849495.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 4
Is the little one eating, drinking and pooping? Any signs of getting picked on by other chicks or being blocked from the food?

Also, what kind of food are you providing? Also, was grit provided?

I've watched and they don't seem to pick on Spice, they'll keep em warm. Spice will snuggle up under the other 3 chicks in the brooder. There is only 4 chicks but he does seem to be awfully sleepy. I have him some cooked egg yolk earlier. He pecked at it and ate a little while held him.

I haven't provided grit and they eating chick starter.
Chick starter is good, and for grit - this one is kinda up to personal choice. I like to provide chick grit right away and it doesn't seem to cause any trouble. Some like to wait until they are about to get onto pellet food. Probably not the issue unless she got into something that needs grit to grind up.

What kind of bedding is being used for this one?

Also, is she pooping? Additionally, any matting around her vent that could potentially stop her from pooping?

Chick starter is good, and for grit - this one is kinda up to personal choice. I like to provide chick grit right away and it doesn't seem to cause any trouble. Some like to wait until they are about to get onto pellet food. Probably not the issue unless she got into something that needs grit to grind up.

What kind of bedding is being used for this one?

Also, is she pooping? Additionally, any matting around her vent that could potentially stop her from pooping?
I'm using pine shavings for bedding. Definitely pooping, as he pooped right in my hand earlier lol And no matting. I don't think he could've eaten anything that would need ground up.

I'm using pine shavings for bedding. Definitely pooping, as he pooped right in my hand earlier lol And no matting. I don't think he could've eaten anything that would need ground up.
Yea, sounds like the digestive tract is working normally. Might want to add some grit if you have it on hand due to the pine shavings. Sometimes they will eat the shavings and the grit helps break that up and pass on through.

Found someone else with a similar situation ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chick-is-not-growing.795644/ ) and it sounds like their solution of just trying to get as much protein into this chick as possible helped. I would say keep on the scrambled egg supplement and see if he gets stronger/bigger.

Yea, sounds like the digestive tract is working normally. Might want to add some grit if you have it on hand due to the pine shavings. Sometimes they will eat the shavings and the grit helps break that up and pass on through.

Found someone else with a similar situation ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chick-is-not-growing.795644/ ) and it sounds like their solution of just trying to get as much protein into this chick as possible helped. I would say keep on the scrambled egg supplement and see if he gets stronger/bigger.
Thank you.

I hope it will go better and better. But there could be a physical (internal) problem too.
The peeping is not a good sign imho.

Many years ago I had a chick that was peeping a lot and didn't grow as it should. I gave her enough healthy food. That was not the problem. One day I found her dead.

I never knew ehat was wrong. But if I have a similar chick again. I would bring her in the house to give here warmth and plenty of nutritious food without having to worry about the other chicks.

Con: If she/he grows stronger you need to make a plan how to integrate again.

Back
Top Bottom