1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick just died in my hands and now I'm scared to go to sleep.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SAHMof2, May 15, 2011.

1. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Picked up my new baby chicks this a.m. and noticed a babe with closed eyes, jerking and panting. Held it for about 5 minutes and it was gone. First time I've ever seen anything die, so sad and now I'm scared I"ve done something wrong and they will all be dead when I wake up in the a.m.

sigh ...

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I'm sorry [​IMG]

Take a deep breath, and accept that it probably wasn't your fault. I had the same thing happen today when I brought home 10 newly hatched chicks. The drive was only 30 minutes, but when I got home 1 had died and two were not doing well at all...so they had to be culled. It's hard, but chicks are very vulnerable to many things when they are little so it was most likely not your fault.

All you can do for the other little ones is make sure they aren't cold/hot, and that they have food and fresh water. Other than that it's up to nature.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm sorry you lost your chick. Sometimes chicks die for no obvious reason, this is why hens incubate so many eggs at once. The condition is referred to as "failure to thrive". All you can do is watch your remaining chicks for signs of illness.

Check their vents for caked poop as this is a common problem in little ones. Any with this problem (pasty butt) must have their vents cleaned as soon as possible. Search "pasty butt" if you want more info on treating the issue.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    so sorry for your loss, hang in there and enjoy the rest of your fuzzy butts!

5. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks so much. Fingers crosses and I'll remember to breath.

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I lost several this year. It was to the point that I didn't want to go check on them for fear of what I'd find. [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. At least you were there to give it comfort during it's last minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by