Chick just hatched, what next?

StuartLee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
I left a broody chicken on three eggs thinking they wouldnt hatch but today i looked and there was a baby chick. So im thinking the other three will hatch soon then but what do i need to do?

Ive been told to leave the chicks where they are in the coop with another hen and a cock, The hen thats hatched the eggs isnt the mother either..

Ive also read to take the chicks out and put then in an incubater type set up with heat lamp and stuff..

Whats the best way to go, also got some chick crumb from pet shop so is that ok for food?

Cheers , Stu

I would watch your broody and see how she handles motherhood. If she prooves a good mom, let her do her thing. She will show baby everything it needs to know. I would however separate her and the young ones (give her a couple more days to give the others a chance to hatch) and not let her free range w/ them until they are a few weeks older.

And yes, chick crumbles is perfect.

Last edited:
Quote:
You can usually leave them with her.
She's the mother now.
If the chicks are valuable at all I usually put them in a brooder after the third day so I can make sure they have the best nutrition and water possible.
The mother will teach tem how to scratch for food and they usually do ok but any food you give the chicks the big birds will eat it up before the chicks get much cause they'll usually avoid the other big birds other than the one that hatched them.

If you do go the brooder route, they need a warm and a cool area so I avoid really small containers because if it gets too hot they have nowhere to escape to.

Another one hatched today, Duynno what to do, Leaving em with the mom for a bit hope all goes well.

Cheers for the help.

I Had a Broody hen too, i gave her 8 eggs 3 weeks ago. Today We have at least 4 chicks already.
My concern is that they are in one of the nest boxes where the other hens lay, and the nest box is Two Feet off the floor.
Will all the chicks jump out at the same time to be with momma.
Do I need to move them all to the floor of the coop, or to my basement brooder since it is getting well below freezing nowdays.
Or Should i just let nature take its course and possibly loose one or two.

My Main Concern is What Do I Do About Them In A Nestbox Two Foot Above The Floor. Should I Move Them? To Where, the Floor of the Coop??

Justin

Where are you located? That could have a lot to do with what you should do. If you are in a warmer climate, mama should be fine. With her chicks wherever you have her, granted its a predator proof enclosure.

If you get super cold temps, you may want to take Mama and babies. Into a more secure place where they have more warmth and protectiion from the element. Its more about your setup than anyything else, as chicken mamas are usuually very good at proteting and proviiding for their babies.

I'm From Northern Iowa. I gave our broody hen Eggs on a whim Basically not thinking too hard about it. I had tried to break her for a month without putting her in a cage, then caved in and gave her some eggs. Very Few of our eggs had the tiny red spot indicating they were fertile. I expected one out of the 8 to be fertile based on the eggs we cook. Heck I didn't even candle them to see what was going on.
Now I'm Just trying to make sure they survive, but under momma hens care.
My Flock is free range. I made a door that opens and closes with a timer. But it's not built for chicks to be able to hop up and down to the ramped chicken boards and door.
The momma hen is used to being carried around and never puts up any fuss.

Justin

Back
Top Bottom