Chick laying on it's back stretched out with different color in part of it's leg

aurimilky

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I have around 5 to 8 chicks out of 12 eggs with a broody hen. Some of the chicks hatched out on day 20 and some of them have hatched out on 21 day, with more to come, I hope.

When I checked on them, 4 of the chicks had gone walking and couldn't get back to their broody hen because the nesting box was too high, (I've now build up a ramp for them).

One of the chicks out of the 4 that when walking, was laying on it's back stretched out, I've put it back under the broody hen. When I put the chick back under the broody hen, I noticed that one of the chicks legs has a different color in part of it's leg. Is this Normal ?

How old are these chicks? You need to block it off so they can't get away from mama until she's ready to take them out and about. The one stretched out was likely cold and dying, as that is the stance they take (they will also start to arch their head way back).

As far as the leg color, I'm not sure what you are describing. Many legs have a wash over the main color, or have specks, and so on.

They 1 or 2 day old, as they chick out on different days. They are all dry and fluffy.

When I go to put put some cardboard, now to stop then run away from the hen.

The chicks leg has a light brown color in the middle of it's leg. It looks like I can see in side the leg, like it is a bubble. I think the chick maybe still absorbing it's yolk that it has in side of it.

I've just checked on them and the chick now seems to be fine now. It looks a little smaller than the other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom