Chick leg problem-help!

amyhill44

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
I had two chicks hatch yesterday an each had a swollen tummy and neither were quite right. I came in this morning and they were trying to move but their legs are deformed-what shall I do?! It's like they are bottom heavy and can't stand, they just lie flat and paddle their legs up and down! Picture included.

Last edited:
I have one with the same problem. He's 5 days old now. No swollen tummy but can't stand. The other two are older and fine. I'm giving it water but I want to feed it! He struggles and cheeps loudly.

I have strapped their legs together using a plaster and now both can stand and walk a small distance, I would really advise it it has worked very well! They are now feeding and drinking. I will attach a photo

Yes i considered that but the issue was balance too, I have had spraddle / splayed leg before and the brace worked then too

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I will do this the minute I get home this afternoon.
That photo is so cute! (hobble or not)

I had a chick hatch yesterday. she seemed okay when I took her from the incubator, but today she was sprawled out and herlegs were not supporting her. We put tiney zip ties on each leg then tied a string between them - chicken hobbles:) She can now keep her legs under her. She seems healthy. Question? Anyone know how long to keep the hobbles on? Will they eventually be able to stand on their own?

Back
Top Bottom