Puckaster

Chirping
Sep 13, 2018
Isle of wight, England
Hello.
We had 3 chicks hatch yesterday out of 6 eggs. The hen had gone broody in one of the coop nest boxes where 2 other chickens lived. Id left her in there to hatch the 6 eggs I had ordered off the internet and then was planning on moving them all this morning to a new run to be by themselves as there were still 2 eggs left unhatched last night. Before i could do this this morning I heard a commotion going on and saw mum outside chasing one of the hen. I ran down and saw a chick in the hens beak. I managed to get the chick free and put it straight into the other run, and then moved the remaining 2 chicks and mum. The other 2 egg unhatched were dud so left them out. The chick that was attacked is limping and unable to put much weight on her leg. It is hobbling around with the other chicks and mum but less active in general than the others.
What can I do to aid her recovery? I've looked at the leg and can't see any obvious injury. It is able to move it but it looks very weak.
I feel rather annoyed for not moving them last night and checking the 2 egg left but I didn't want to disturb them on their first day.
They are all outside on the ground in the corner of the run and I've made a little shelter at ground level for them to best in hopefully.
Any advise appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180913_132404.jpg
    20180913_132404.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 14
Unfortunately all you can do is wait and watch. Once they start eating, offering a bit of scrambled eggs can give it some extra goodness to help it heal. Feed them to mom and she should feed them to her chicks. Hopefully it's just a strain or sprain.

I always tell folks to separate out them mom's. I recommend up to 2 weeks. By than chicks are strong enough to avoid the other birds, and know to follow mom. Hopefully after a few days everything is all right.

You never forget those hard learned lessons, I've learned a few myself. Thankfully you were there to save it.

Thanks so much for advise. I'll make some scrabble egg for them in the morning. She did seem a bit stronger by the end of the day. I ended up shutting them in a coop tonight as mom was just wanting to sleep on the floor of the run not undercover from the elements and I was worried about rats getting them or badgers trying to get at them through the fence. It's 8inch off the ground and I've made gentle ramps for them. Hoping this will be ok for them.

I will often put a circle of wire fencing around mine within the coop to keep everyone together and protected. Do what you think is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom