Chick Loss

AStitchofKate

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Ok. Tuesday morning a day late, I got our shipment of 28 chicks. (Murray McMurray Hatchery) In the first 24 hours we lost a total of 7 chicks 3 DOA, and the others throughout the day. Everyone had pasty bums, and I was working hard to keep them clean, warm, fed, and fresh water. I lost an 8th yesterday. Came out this evening and I have another dead and a another that I'm pretty sure I will lose cause even with electrolyte water I can't get her to perk up. I have to admit I'm pretty brokenhearted, and I'm feeling awful for these chicks. I keep racking my brain to figure out if they are missing something. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? Thoughts?? Is this just normal? I'm sorry just doesn't seem like it is! Every one's poops looks great. I have tried to handle them as little as possible to insure that they are not stressed. I don't even allow my children near them. Literally I saw these chicks around lunch time and they were all perky and busy, and now two have one so sick it died and another so ill. Ugh. I could pull my hair out!

A similar thing happened to me once and the hatchery told me to give them some scrambled eggs to give them a boost. In my case, they had become chilled because there was an unexpected cold night during shipping and they hadn't put in a heat pack.

It might not help, but giving them the eggs won't hurt, either.

Sorry that you're losing chicks.
hugs.gif

A similar thing happened to me once and the hatchery told me to give them some scrambled eggs to give them a boost. In my case, they had become chilled because there was an unexpected cold night during shipping and they hadn't put in a heat pack.

It might not help, but giving them the eggs won't hurt, either.

Sorry that you're losing chicks.
hugs.gif
I actually gave them eggs yesterday, but I will totally give them more if it will help insure these others! I have no idea whats missing for these poor things. Thanks for the advice and support!

Did you call the hatchery and let them know? Maybe others are having the same problem and they can shed some light on it for you. Sure - keep giving them eggs as a treat with their regular food. It sounds like you're doing everything right to help!

Did you call the hatchery and let them know? Maybe others are having the same problem and they can shed some light on it for you. Sure - keep giving them eggs as a treat with their regular food. It sounds like you're doing everything right to help!
I did, and they said they will refund me for the ones lost in the first 48 hours. I think I will call tomorrow to ask them if this is happening to others, cause we lost two others. I mean 28 chicks down to 18 in just 3 days! Just sad!

We've lost about 12, a friend who we got eggs from lost about 30, and the guy who he got his from lost almost 100...same stories, fine in the AM, dead by nightfall. Murray was the same place the 1st guy got his from, who sold them to our friend, who sold them to us. They said that the batch must've been bad and would refund the original buyers' money.
somad.gif

The chicks are probably stressed. You were probably the first person to water and feed them since they hatched. When chicks are stressed, they can get diarrhea which can stick to their vents and keep them from using the bathroom. Be sure to keep the vents clean by using a warm washcloth. Be careful. The chicks vent is delicate. Make sure that they have plenty of water.

Last edited:
We've lost about 12, a friend who we got eggs from lost about 30, and the guy who he got his from lost almost 100...same stories, fine in the AM, dead by nightfall. Murray was the same place the 1st guy got his from, who sold them to our friend, who sold them to us. They said that the batch must've been bad and would refund the original buyers' money.
somad.gif
Really? Oh, just sad! Well, I will for sure be calling. Cause the other just passed away. I went and sat and watched them all and just tried to make sure everyone else is ok. Hard to tell this evening cause they are all ready for bed. lol But I'm really hoping that is the last of it.
fl.gif

The chicks are probably stressed. You were probably the first person to water and feed them since they hatched. When chicks are stressed, they can get diarrhea which can stick to their vents and keep them from using the bathroom. Be sure to keep the vents clean by using a warm washcloth. Be careful. The chicks vent is delicate. Make sure that they have plenty of water.
Thanks for the advice, that is what I had been doing for their bums. This evening they all actually looked great. But thank you for taking the time to respond and help!

Ugh, I have 25 expected to ship from McMurray on Monday, and I hope they have figured out why customers are calling with so many losses recently. I am sorry for your losses and I hope they ship more out to asap. That's certainly not an experience we want to go through. Snow is expected here Monday morning as well. I have plans to drop what I'm doing and run to the post office as soon as they call (and have already called them to give them a heads up that they're going to arrive. Keep us posted how the rest do and if your next shipment is sick.

Back
Top Bottom