chick lost its toes

mpress

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
My daughter got 2 chicks, she has had them for a few weeks everything has been going well. She went out to the coop to play with them & one of them had lost all of its toes. I dont know anything about chickens so I dont know if it is sick or if something has tried to get it. PLEASE help

The usual cause of a chick losing its toe is another chicks beak. They can peck each other for various reasons...boredom, something made it think it was food (food on it, blood, etc), crowding (which can lead to cannibalism) and others as well. You need to clean it and put neosporin on the toe. Make sure to cover it, otherwise the other chick will go after it more (the different color of a scab will attract their attention). I have chicks in the brooder and at 2 days old, one of my chicks had half his middle toe bit off.
sad.png
If kept clean and covered, it will heal fine.

ETA: Although I read it, it didn't click in my head that the chick lost ALL if its toes! I'm thinking predator as well. Are they in the house or outside?

Last edited:
A RACOON EAT ONE OF MY HENS TOE...SHE'S DOING FINE NOW...HER NAME'S ALIEN BECAUSE HER PAW LOOKS REALLY WEIRD.
IF ITS A RACOON HE WILL BE BACK.

Back
Top Bottom