Chick might be stuck?

Hatchinmama

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2021
Hey guys, so I've been up watching my first little one hatch. This is day 23 and 1 out of 10 has pipped and immediately started zipping. He pipped around 6 and started zipping around 630. Since about 11 he has been half way zipped and laying with his beak out. Is he stuck or just regaining strength? It's definitely still alive and chirping. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 6
The same thing happen to my pigeon
Zip half way but then his beak go back to where he start zipping from
Had to help him out

The same thing happen to my pigeon
Zip half way but then his beak go back to where he start zipping from
Had to help him out
He's just staying in the same spot, he may just be tired. My humidity is in the 60s and he doesn't look too dry. Can you tell this is my first hatch? 😂

I would wait a bit. Sometimes if they take too long with zipping they can get stuck to the membrane which prevents them from zipping all the way around. I think it's due to the membrane drying around them.

He's still in the same spot and chirping loudly this morning. I can see him making the attempt to move but he isn't able to.

You can try cracking around the shell (as they would while unzipping), but I would go very slowly and stop immediately if you see any blood, blood vessels or yellow yolk. Once it is cracked, the chick should be able to push itself out.

You can try cracking around the shell (as they would while unzipping), but I would go very slowly and stop immediately if you see any blood, blood vessels or yellow yolk. Once it is cracked, the chick should be able to push itself out.

Ok great I have been holding off but I really think he is gonna need help. He is the o KY one to hatch out of 10 eggs so I really want him to be ok.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom