chick missing

Mellowmalt

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
UK
Just wanted to share my very bizarre and maybe a bit nasty story.
I don't know what exactly happened, I'm just glad it is one of the males I wasn't planning on keeping that is missing.

So I went to check on the chick this morning and one had escaped but it was a male, I was very tired and thought I'd go back to bed for a few hours and deal with him then.

So I come back a bit later and the chick has dissapeared. I checked absolutely everywhere. No sign of the chick. The only explanation I have at the moment is that my dog ate it but I just cannot picture him eating the thing whole without leaving any evidence behind...

It's very strange, I've looked everywhere and I am sure he's gone...

The only explanation I have at the moment is that my dog ate it but I just cannot picture him eating the thing whole without leaving any evidence behind...
I don't know how big that dog is or how old that chick was but they can swallow them whole, no evidence left at all. A fox could too. It's unlikely in the UK this time of the year but snakes are well known to swallow them whole. Some critter like that is a possibility. I don't know your situation but a human would leave no evidence.

It's also possible he got out and could not get back to the heat and died, especially if he is pretty young. If he is old enough that you know it's a boy this is unlikely, he's probably feathered out enough that he could handle those temperatures. It was probably close to midday. when you posted so if he had just gotten out and was hiding for the night he's probably gone. I've had them show up unexpectedly the next morning as if nothing were wrong.

good news (or bad as it is still a male) but it turns out my dog never ate him. He alerted me there was something behind the fridge this morning so I checked and there he was. Must have been out for a good 24 hours, is still only a 4 week old bantam.

I'm just glad to know my dog didn't eat him. WAsn't sure I could tust him around the chickens anymore but he's alright, alerted me when he found him.

I took a picture to commemorate the moment since nobody will believe me otherwise but yep there he was tapping at the floor this morning, showing me to check

IMG_1010.JPG

What a good boy! I hope he got rewarded for his effort and thank goodness, the little one didn't get eaten.

I once had a Keeshond who was fascinated by insects. One day, Holly was frantic to get behind the stove, digging at the flooring and barking. I spotted what I thought was a large, hard-shelled bug that had caught her attention.

Upon closer inspection, it turned out one of the fiddler crabs had escaped from the aquarium in the living room, scurried across the hallway and had taken refuge in the kitchen. Some dogs just have a knack for "search and rescue."

Back
Top Bottom