Chick nearly drowned!!

Skyler vaughan

Chirping
Sep 15, 2019
One of my chicks must have jumped in the water drinker when I was gone, when I went to shut them all in I saw her and thought she was dead. I picked her up and she’s still breathing! I immediately held her upside down to get any fluid out of her lungs and a bit came out, I then performed mouth to mouth on her and that helped her breathe again, got her into a blanket and under a chick brooder to keep her warm. She’s still alive and breathing on her own now but I’m not sure what to do next! It’s around quarter past 10pm so do I leave her over night and help in the morning? Or do I need to get her to eat: drink straight away? Please reply ASAP! Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 11
One of my chicks must have jumped in the water drinker when I was gone, when I went to shut them all in I saw her and thought she was dead. I picked her up and she’s still breathing! I immediately held her upside down to get any fluid out of her lungs and a bit came out, I then performed mouth to mouth on her and that helped her breathe again, got her into a blanket and under a chick brooder to keep her warm. She’s still alive and breathing on her own now but I’m not sure what to do next! It’s around quarter past 10pm so do I leave her over night and help in the morning? Or do I need to get her to eat: drink straight away? Please reply ASAP! Thank you!
I'm so glad you did a mouth to mouth. some people would not have got the courage to do that. You are awesome. Make sure it's breathing and pulse is strong. make sure it's under a heat lamp.

I hope your chicken gets better soon

Make sure that she is warm enough. Get her heated up, wrap her in a warm towel. She may be cold. A lot depends on how much water she may have aspirated. I really hope that she survives.

Back
Top Bottom