Bird has fluid in lungs after trying to get out sour crop liquid.

APK

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2022
Hello,

My bird is having sour crop with liquid in her crop, so I held her gently, tipped her forward face first, supported the crop with my hand, then massaged the liquid out. A stinky green fluid was coming out. However, she might have swallowed a bit into her lung. Now there is this gurgling sound, her mouth is open and she's trying to breathe.

It makes a gurgling sound like when we suck the end of a straw.

What can I do ?

Last edited:
Ok it seems like only a bit went in. Her breathing is fine now, no open mouth or gurgling sound but I'm worried about pneumonia if a drop or two of the sour crop liquid went in.

She has now got a mostly empty crop. I am offering her half a yoghurt bowl of water with half a cap of apple cider vinegar and finally diced garlic.

She won't eat or drink anything.

She is isolated with clean straw sitting quietly inside.

Should I try to syringe some of the apple cider vinegar in ?

I’d probably leave her be. It felt like after getting it all out of my hen she’d start feeling better pretty quick and get back to eating and drinking on her own. Maybe look into acidified copper sulfate or https://meyerhatchery.com/products/Fluconazole-100-mg-10-tablets-p258345199

I went rounds with her for a while, kept at it with OTC yeast infection stuff, ACV, probiotics etc. and eventually got to a point where it seemed to not come back. I wasn’t aware of the other products so I never tried them.

Ok it seems like only a bit went in. Her breathing is fine now, no open mouth or gurgling sound but I'm worried about pneumonia if a drop or two of the sour crop liquid went in.

She has now got a mostly empty crop. I am offering her half a yoghurt bowl of water with half a cap of apple cider vinegar and finally diced garlic.

She won't eat or drink anything.

She is isolated with clean straw sitting quietly inside.

Should I try to syringe some of the apple cider vinegar in ?
Has she earned anything? Throw out the yogurt since you put garlic in it, garlic is toxic to chickens.
Do not syringe anything unless you know what you're doing.

I read that garlic in small quantities can help to condition their crop. It has allicin which has antifungal properties. A chicken breeder told me feeds his chickens a bit of garlic or give garlic water once a month and he has seen positive benefits.

But anyway she has eaten any.

I syringed a few drops of water with a bit of apple cider vinegar in it on the side of her beak. When a water drop builds up she makes a natural drinking motion. It's a small amount of water.

She has had a bit of diarrhea type stool. Sitting around, puffed up, not moving much, with eyes closed.

I can feel a small lump about the size of a large marble in her crop. It feels fibrous. I wonder if she ate a string or straw and it's balled up and causing the sour crop.

Does anyone know of a flexible camera and pinching tool like they use in colonoscopy that I can use to put a camera into her crop with something to grab the blockage and remove it from the crop ?

Back
Top Bottom