sour crop or impacted crop? won’t vomit

mce5987

Hatching
Dec 29, 2023
i have a four year old hen who has been ill for a little while now, at first her crop just felt hard and with some massaging it started to get softer. she isn’t really pooing and it’s just mainly liquid with little bits of poo.

she’s had apple cider vinegar in her water and are keeping her on easy to digest foods like egg and yogurt. however, it feels like there are still some grains left in her crop despite her not having any in over 24 hours.

today her crop feels much squishier and more like a water balloon which makes me worry it could be sour crop, tried to gently make her empty her crop by massaging it whilst tilting her forward, however, apart from the odd gurgling sound she didn’t throw anything up and i didn’t want to stress her out too much.

she’s occasionally interested in food but isn’t really eating much.

does anyone have any tips on what would help her? it seems only today she’s taken this turn for the worst.

You don't want her to throw up, really.
What's her diet? Have you tried yeast infection cream?
Reproductive issues often cause crop issues, especially in older hens

You don't want her to throw up, really.
What's her diet? Have you tried yeast infection cream?
Reproductive issues often cause crop issues, especially in older hens
we felt like it was a last resort to try empty her crop a bit as it feels quite full with just liquid.
usually she’s on layer pellets which are hydrated with plain yogurt and corn daily.
however, she also gets different veggies and mealworms, locusts, other insects, etc.
and we looked into like yeast infection medications but we’re not sure which ones would really be safe for her that you can find in the uk.
she lives with seven other hens and we don’t have a rooster - she hasn’t been laying as much over winter due to the cold but none of them have.

we felt like it was a last resort to try empty her crop a bit as it feels quite full with just liquid.
usually she’s on layer pellets which are hydrated with plain yogurt and corn daily.
however, she also gets different veggies and mealworms, locusts, other insects, etc.
and we looked into like yeast infection medications but we’re not sure which ones would really be safe for her that you can find in the uk.
she lives with seven other hens and we don’t have a rooster - she hasn’t been laying as much over winter due to the cold but none of them have.
Can you get nystatin or miconazole?

Can you get nystatin or miconazole?
nystatin is only available as a prescription in the uk and the only thing i can find thats similar to miconazole is daktarin cream but i dont think that’s safe for her to consume as the ones im finding are only for external use only.

nystatin is only available as a prescription in the uk and the only thing i can find thats similar to miconazole is daktarin cream but i dont think that’s safe for her to consume as the ones im finding are only for external use only.
It's not approved for internal use but it is something that works if it's similar to ours.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...p-disorders.67194/?page=11#ams-comment-525711

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ealing-with.73607/?page=11#ams-comment-524673

Back
Top Bottom