Sour crop? Impacted crop?

PolishhenOwner

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2024
I have recently noticed that my chicken may have an impacted/sour crop. I suspect it started a month ago. I was suspicious before but smelled her breath and she was fine she was also having a healthy appetite and has no signs of weight loss. Recently though her crop has grown in size and feels like a watery balloon as well as the fact that her breath smells sour. I have been giving her apple cider vinegar and will isolate her tomorrow. Despite her condition she still has a significant appetite. She hasn't started laying eggs yet if that is relevant. I was wondering if you have any tips for a chicken of this condition?

I'd like to add I live in an area with little to no poultry/livestock vets and for medicinal remedies would be hard to acquire ( unless through Amazon or local drugstore)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont seem to see your other thread? I do have experience with impacted crop so if you could explain some more I can try and help :)
I am new to this website it seems I thought I posted it twice 😂

Here is what I wrote

I have recently noticed that my chicken may have an impacted/sour crop. I suspect it started a month ago. I was suspicious before but smelled her breath and she was fine she was also having a healthy appetite and has no signs of weight loss. Recently though her crop has grown in size and feels like a watery balloon as well as the fact that her breath smells sour. I have been giving her apple cider vinegar and will isolate her tomorrow. Despite her condition she still has a significant appetite. She hasn't started laying eggs yet if that is relevant. I was wondering if you have any tips for a chicken of this condition?

It's virtually impossible for me to find a poultry/livestock vet so medicinal access is almost impossible unless I'm able to find it at drugstores or Amazon

I am new to this website it seems I thought I posted it twice 😂

Here is what I wrote

It's virtually impossible for me to find a poultry/livestock vet so medicinal access is almost impossible unless I'm able to find it at drugstores or Amazon
Ok! Since her crop is watery and balloon like you can eliminate impaction. Impacted crops are very hard and sour crop is soft and smelly.

I've never dealt with sour crop, but I do have a hen with a permanent water-balloon feeling crop post-impaction. Are you positive the smell you are smelling isn't the vinegar? Make sure you are giving the proper amount. I'm glad she seems otherwise healthy.

I think that in some cases antibiotics can be helpful. I'll try to find what kind and the dosage, maybe this can help. The only issue is that antibiotics can get rid of helpful bacteria in the crop.

How are her poops? are they watery or green?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-treat-sour-crop-seemingly-effective-updated.1451264/
https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/sour-crop

Thank you for the reply! As much as I have tried I haven't yet been able to get a sight of it. I will make sure to get that info tommorow!

Ok so I looked and her poops are completely normal! And her breath doesn't smell nearly as bad as it did before. Is it possible her crop has just grown to this size? She still has a large appetite and is quite active.
1000022430.jpg

Ok so I looked and her poops are completely normal! And her breath doesn't smell nearly as bad as it did before. Is it possible her crop has just grown to this size? She still has a large appetite and is quite active.View attachment 3806208
The crop growing is probably because she's been eating food. Does it still feel squishy, or is it hard or do you feel their feed inside her crop?

Sour crop usually causes watery poop or diarrhea.

Maybe you should isolate her and start only giving her a soft food diet and being gently (very gently) massaging her crop going slightly downwards. Don't massage hard or upwards as it can cause vomiting of the liquids inside her crop.

Did you check her crop in the morning? Did her crop empty overnight?

Thank you! Yes we've isolated her since 6.pm yesterday. Her crop hasn't emptied and is still squishy and feels like a water balloon. She is still active and eating. I have no idea what's going wrong. The only thing wrong is that her crop is quite heavy and is visibly weighing her down.

Thank you! Yes we've isolated her since 6.pm yesterday. Her crop hasn't emptied and is still squishy and feels like a water balloon. She is still active and eating. I have no idea what's going wrong. The only thing wrong is that her crop is quite heavy and is visibly weighing her down.
It’s great that she’s still active and eating. I would switch to her feed + warm water. Make sure she’s hydrated but also don’t let her drink or eat too much that could increase the crop size. Don’t give treats.
Try researching pendulous crop as well.
Has she regurgitated any liquids since? Have you tried massaging?

Do you have access to a vet that takes chickens? Make sure they know what they’re doing. If you do, then ask them if they’ve had experience. Sometimes is better to know what exactly is going on from the vet.

Since I’m not too experienced with sour crop, i’ll tag some people! Praying for your hen and don’t give up :)
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

Back
Top Bottom