Sour Crop

mklmcnutt

Chirping
Jun 2, 2023
I think one of my hens has sour crop. She's about two years old and was sick last year with an unknown illness that she thankfully got over after several months, but I believe she may have had a relapse which also brought on the sour crop as well. She didn't eat the first two days but I did notice she had eaten some mushy food I gave her this evening. I've also seen her sipping a little water. Her droppings are watery and white, just like they were last year when she was sick. Any suggestions for at-home remedies? I seperated her from the flock and have been giving her apple cider vinegar, but not sure if I'm giving her enough. I read online that massaging her crop might help, but this causes brown liquid to run out of her mouth, which I assume isn't a good sign. Thanks for any advice!

I think one of my hens has sour crop. She's about two years old and was sick last year with an unknown illness that she thankfully got over after several months, but I believe she may have had a relapse which also brought on the sour crop as well. She didn't eat the first two days but I did notice she had eaten some mushy food I gave her this evening. I've also seen her sipping a little water. Her droppings are watery and white, just like they were last year when she was sick. Any suggestions for at-home remedies? I seperated her from the flock and have been giving her apple cider vinegar, but not sure if I'm giving her enough. I read online that massaging her crop might help, but this causes brown liquid to run out of her mouth, which I assume isn't a good sign. Thanks for any advice!
Read the article provided by @Debbie292d and try and get some miconazole. You'll need to give her the miconazole 2x daily and I would suggest supplementing it with probiotics- this brand was recommended by our vet and has worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HMADV...psc=1&aaxitk=54ad5bafd07dbc8fe38300779ff550e8

Is she fluffed up and lethargic?

Read the article provided by @Debbie292d and try and get some miconazole. You'll need to give her the miconazole 2x daily and I would suggest supplementing it with probiotics- this brand was recommended by our vet and has worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HMADV...psc=1&aaxitk=54ad5bafd07dbc8fe38300779ff550e8

Sugar-free Greek yogurt is very high too, or I've just used Hydro-Hen in their water before I started fermenting grain for them. Fermented grains has both probiotics and prebiotics in it, and boosted if adding a small amt of chia seeds to it.

Yes, she is both fluffed up and lethargic. She gets on an off a low roost at night and that's about it. Thanks for the advice, I'll give the miconazole and probiotics a try :)

Back
Top Bottom