Chick noises

LongLiveChickens

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
My chickens are making crackling noises, I posted about this before but now I hear them doing weird breathing noises while chirping! is this normal?

I’m sorry for you chicken! The medication to control coccidia will not be of help for a respiratory illness caused by a bacteria not susceptible to that medication. I would suggest the use of an antibiotic like Tylocin (Tylan) or erythromycin (Gallimycin), usually available from feed or farm supply stores to help combat any respiratory infection. In addition, feeding highly nutritious foods like warm pancakes, oatmeal, cornbread, and scrambled eggs can be very helpful in pulling them through a crisis. Watch your other birds closely for the manifestation of symptoms, immediately placing them with your chicken should they appear. Large scale poultry producers simply cull affected birds and perform post-mortem examinations on them to try to determine the cause of the illness. Hopefully nutritional support in conjunction with a high environmental temperature and antibiotic therapy will be enough to pull your chick through this crisis

There is also a chance your chicken could have gapeworm. Does it seem to be stretching its neck for breath? Breathing with its mouth open? Wheezing or sneezing? It may simply be because she is hot and needs to pant however. Don’t be concerned.

I’m sorry for you chicken! The medication to control coccidia will not be of help for a respiratory illness caused by a bacteria not susceptible to that medication. I would suggest the use of an antibiotic like Tylocin (Tylan) or erythromycin (Gallimycin), usually available from feed or farm supply stores to help combat any respiratory infection. In addition, feeding highly nutritious foods like warm pancakes, oatmeal, cornbread, and scrambled eggs can be very helpful in pulling them through a crisis. Watch your other birds closely for the manifestation of symptoms, immediately placing them with your chicken should they appear. Large scale poultry producers simply cull affected birds and perform post-mortem examinations on them to try to determine the cause of the illness. Hopefully nutritional support in conjunction with a high environmental temperature and antibiotic therapy will be enough to pull your chick through this crisis
There is also a chance your chicken could have gapeworm. Does it seem to be stretching its neck for breath? Breathing with its mouth open? Wheezing or sneezing? It may simply be because she is hot and needs to pant however. Don’t be concerned.
would vetrx help the chicks? they sneeze sometimes. now that i think about it, the weird noises could be wheezing! :(

These are the chicks you got at the flea market?
VetRX is basically vicks vapor rub, it won't treat anything. If they have a respiratory virus then Tylan or Tylosin are usually the treatment. Some respiratory virus's are chronic and the medications will treat the symptoms but are not a cure. The birds will be carriers and symptoms can return during times of stress. If they are wheezing and sneezing, that may be the case. Do you see any discharge from eyes, nares or beaks? Any bubbles in the eyes? Any facial swelling? Any bad smell around the beak or head? Look inside the beak to see if there are any plaques or lesions there. If you cannot find medications locally you can order Tylosin powder or Doxy-Tyl here: https://jedds.com/collections/poultry

VetRX is basically vicks vapor rub, it won't treat anything. If they have a respiratory virus then Tylan or Tylosin are usually the treatment. Some respiratory virus's are chronic and the medications will treat the symptoms but are not a cure. The birds will be carriers and symptoms can return during times of stress. If they are wheezing and sneezing, that may be the case. Do you see any discharge from eyes, nares or beaks? Any bubbles in the eyes? Any facial swelling? Any bad smell around the beak or head? Look inside the beak to see if there are any plaques or lesions there. If you cannot find medications locally you can order Tylosin powder or Doxy-Tyl here: https://jedds.com/collections/poultry
Yes! these are the chicks from the flea market. They have no bubbles or discharge, one does have a red area on where the comb should be but i assumed it's red because it's comb is growing? I only hear the wheezing when they're stressed. The "wheezing" sounds like hard breathing. Is there a easy way to open / check the inside of the beaks?

Would there be a cheaper alternative to Tylosin/medication for it?

I’m sorry for you chicken! The medication to control coccidia will not be of help for a respiratory illness caused by a bacteria not susceptible to that medication. I would suggest the use of an antibiotic like Tylocin (Tylan) or erythromycin (Gallimycin), usually available from feed or farm supply stores to help combat any respiratory infection.
Why would you give antibiotics without knowing what is going on?
In addition, feeding highly nutritious foods like warm pancakes, oatmeal, cornbread, and scrambled eggs can be very helpful in pulling them through a crisis.
Treats are not helpful, they need actual nutrition.
Watch your other birds closely for the manifestation of symptoms, immediately placing them with your chicken should they appear. Large scale poultry producers simply cull affected birds and perform post-mortem examinations on them to try to determine the cause of the illness. Hopefully nutritional support in conjunction with a high environmental temperature and antibiotic therapy will be enough to pull your chick through this crisis
High temperature will not fix anything - it will stress the bird more.

Back
Top Bottom