Chick not doing well. Any advice will help!

am7039

Songster
May 26, 2021
I have an almost 4 week old chick that has always been smaller than the rest of the group. Over the last couple days I noticed she was losing weight. I put some electrolytes in her water. And she has been eating and drinking well along with keeping up with her siblings. Today I came home from work and she is gasping for air and extremely wobbly on her feet. I brought her in and gave her more fluid and am giving g her some extra heat. Any idea what may be going on?

Sounds like a failure to thrive but I'm not sure it would happen at that age🤔 Do you have any nutridrench to give her? If not you can use scrambled egg or just egg yolk. It may help give her strength until someone else can give a better diagnosis.

It could be that she is a weak chick or something internal is wrong. At this age coccidiosis is most common, and symptoms are diarrhea with mucus or blood, lethargy, hunched or puffed up appearance, and not eating. Corid is the treatment, and dosage is 2 tsp or 10 ml of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder for 5-7 days. Probiotics are good to give afterward.

Thank you. She has me a little concerned of Mereks. Her legs are slipping out from under her or completely giving out. When I pick her up, her legs are very shaky. I was able to get some nutridrench and once I gave her extra fluids, I put her back in the coop and she is eating like a little piggy. Her poop is good. No diarrhea and shes not lethargic. At times she seems to so really good up on her feet and then she will start wobbling and slipping.

Please post some photos of the chick and her poop.
If you can get video of her actions that may be helpful as well. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

What are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom