Chick Not Doing Well

FiveInOurFlock

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
We brought home 5 new chicks last weekend, one of the 5 doesn't seem to be doing well. She spends a lot of time with her eyes closed, standing by herself. She is not as active as the others. I noticed runny poop numerous times and thought it might be coccidiosis, so I started them on Corod today, but realized the starter feed my daughter picked up is already medicated, so if that is the problem is that overkill? Any other ideas what might be going on or how I can help her? I don't want to lose her 😭. When we bought them we were told they were "about" a week old. Her wings are feathering but she is smaller and less active than the rest. She is still eating and drinking but not very enthusiastically. Please help!

Edited to add: I wanted to move this to the illness/disease thread as it may be more appropriate there but I couldn't figure out how to delete it here. If someone can let me know or a moderator can delete I would appreciate, thank you!

Last edited:
How is she doing today?

Sometimes chicks just struggle and fail to thrive. If it were my chick, I would try NutriDrench. A couple drops given directly can work miracles. Just hold the dropper next to her beak. She will drink.

You might also just keep her extra warm. I had a chick who was having similar symptoms. I just carried her with me pretty much constantly in a towel or a sweatshirt pocket and made sure she was always warm. That chick just turned two years old.

She's hanging in there, I've been taking her out and feeding her some egg and drops of sugar water every few hours. She still sleeps more than the others and isn't nearly as strong or active. And twice today I've found her laying on her side unable to get up on her own 😓. She was able to stand and walk around when I stood her back up though, I think her leg(s) are weak? I've definitely been keeping the room nice and warm it's between 90-95 in there 🥵. The other chicks don't seem overheated though so that's good!

Thank you so much for asking and please I'd take another advise or tips you have!

Thank you! Do you know if I should be giving nutri drench with the Corid? I was giving a vitamin/electrolyte mix when we brought them home, but read that I shouldn't give vitamins with the Corid because it would interfere?

I did post in that thread as well when I noticed it and thought it might be a more appropriate spot for this topic. Thank you all for your responses and 🙏🙏🙏. I will update with progress/outcome! 💗

Back
Top Bottom