Chick not growing in feathers

Gail03

Hatching
Oct 10, 2020
A couple weeks ago my friend hatched a batch of frizzle chicks and this one turned out bald. During the first week of watching her at first I thought she was getting picked on by others but now I can see that is not the case. She is probably around 6 weeks old by now and has still not grown any feathers in certain spots like the top of her wing and her underside. I've never seen anything like this so I looked up some similar cases that pointed to a hormonal imbalance. She is a little bit smaller than all the other chicks in her batch but other than that she seems normal in her activity. She is bright-eyed and active. I don't think this is something that's fixable, but I'm worried about the other girls picking on the exposed skin and exposure to the elements. I'm not really sure what to do so if anyone has any ideas on what this is and how I can help that would be great.

Attachments

• weirdo.jpg
    weirdo.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 12
  • weirdoi.jpg
    weirdoi.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 6
It's a frazzle. Someone bred a frizzle and a frizzle. They have really brittle feathers and some of them are bald like that.
I have one that, thankfully, has all her feathers but they break off very easily.

It's a frazzle. Someone bred a frizzle and a frizzle. They have really brittle feathers and some of them are bald like that.
I have one that, thankfully, has all her feathers but they break off very easily.
So
So that's what I assumed after seeing this chick for the first time but her mother is a smooth feathered RIR and the rooster is a frizzle can that still happen? I don't think the mom has any frizzle genes in her.

Back
Top Bottom