Chick not growing???????????

chickenlover09

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Hi everyone! I have 2 normal laying hens, and 3 silkies. One of the silkies is about 11 weeks old. How big should she be? She hasn't seemed to have grown very much at all. She is around the size of a softball (just taller).

She is eating an all purpose mash, and she gets a bit of egg once a week. She also gets mealworms daily as a treat, and she when she's free ranging, she eats grass, bugs, and whatever else she can find.

Should I be worried that she hasn't grown much?

(tell me if you want a picture).

I have a chick just like that. He is about 10 weeks old now, is a mix breed and parents are large fowl normal birds (GLW x Black Rock) and he is so tiny he fits into the palm of my hand (He has grown a good sized red comb and wattles for his age so I know its a he). He has grown some feathers, but at night still finds one of the other broodies to go under her for warmth (at 10 weeks his own mother abandoned him long ago).

I'm not really worried because other than that he seems to do everything else pretty normal. I guess he is just going to be a small chicken, I will probably just have to consider him as a bantam instead of a large fowl.

Hi everyone! I have 2 normal laying hens, and 3 silkies. One of the silkies is about 11 weeks old. How big should she be? She hasn't seemed to have grown very much at all. She is around the size of a softball (just taller).

She is eating an all purpose mash, and she gets a bit of egg once a week. She also gets mealworms daily as a treat, and she when she's free ranging, she eats grass, bugs, and whatever else she can find.

Should I be worried that she hasn't grown much?

(tell me if you want a picture).
Pics always help with questions of size....put something for scale in the pic like quarter or a dollar bill(always the same size unlike a softball), or in this case I'd post a pic of all 3 silkies.

Could be a runt....or could be being bullied away from the feeder....or could be crossed with a smaller breed.....could be a genetic malformation that suppresses the digestion of nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom