chick not surviving the hatch?

ICE_Lilly

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Monadnock Region, NH
I checked the eggs with the hen this morning and saw another one was hatching. I peeked in after Church and it was still pecking and making it's way out. I just went out to check progress and it looks like the chicken isn't moving and there's blood on the shell and around the area. Do chicks take time to sleep during the hatch? Is it normal to have some blood. It's head is expoxed and a foot was sticking out, but that was it so far. I made sure it got tucked under the hen with the chick that hatched yesterday. I don't know if it's still alive or not. Do some chicks not survive the hatching process? Is there a way to tell if it's really dead and what should I do with it? This is only the 2nd egg we've had hatch and I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks!

Just checked again and I think the beak was moving. So I'm just going to wait it out. So hard to be patient :|

The one that hatched yesterday it running all over the nesting area and pecking at Momma Hen. It's so cute!!
big_smile.png

Yes they take breaks during hatching. It is hard work.
Some do not survive, that is just nature, especially under a hen.
If you saw a little blood, it is probablyy still absorbing the yolk sak and it could be awhile.
Be patient and good luck
fl.gif

When I checked before I put my kids to bed it looks like it didn't survive. There was still a lot of yolky type stuff so I guess something went wrong at the end? I guess I have to get used to that since it's a part of the process.
sad.png

It can take days for them to finish hatching. Try tapping the incubator or making noise. If they react they are probably fine. If they lay there in silence something is probably wrong. Noise will actually encourage them to move around and hatch faster than a silent room.

i had two silkies hatch out yesterday on day 20. but had pipped on day 19

today on day 21 there is a cochin in there that got its head out but i swear the lil silkies were up all nite like little elves trying to help this cochin.

they keep pestering it, pecking at it and pulling on the membrane and shell.

they have now exposed so much of the membrane that I can see blood and I think I can still see the "cord" still attached.

i am new to this.

i set up the brooder and moved out the two silkies as it has been 18 and 24 hours.

I am hoping if I just leave this poor cochin alone, even though it is still attached at the bottom with "cord" or not absorbed sack and a little blood that it will still make it.

Has anyone had this experience? Is it possible if the shell is half off that the yolk can still absorb, or do whatever it has to do to finish process and still make it?

Humidity is still at 65 % even though i had to quickly grab the silkies.

Last edited:
The chick from yesterday didn't survive. When I checked on everyone this morning I saw a lifeless chick laying in the hay. It seems as though Momma Hen pecked away all the shell.
sad.png
I'm trying not to get sad about it because it's just nature doing what it needs to do. But it's hard because they're so cute and I want them all to be ok.

I thought I heard 2 other eggs this morning pecking a bit so we'll see if they hatch. I hope we get a few more so the little chick has some playmates.

Here's our little one from the other day:

firstbabychick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom