Chick not thriving, recurring pasty butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ksguy, Jul 25, 2019.

1. ksguy

ksguy Songster

Jun 9, 2015
    Kansas
    We picked up ten chicks from a local hatchery this past Saturday. They were a day and a half old.

One of the babies, a Cochin bantam, is not doing as well as the rest of the birds. It's not growing as much, has kind of a funny stance, and we are cleaning pasty butt off of it every single day. Further, last night its vent seemed to be slightly prolapsed. After removing poo buildup, we were using a q-tip to smear some olive oil on the fuzz around the vent, but it hasn't helped at all.

They are brooding with a broody hen we had - the last of a decimated flock. They're living inside our coop with her, and their total floor space is 6' x 5'. Before moving them in, I removed all old litter and shop vac'd the floor, then put fresh pine shavings down. Since coming home their water has had sav-a-chick probiotic and electrolyte in it.

Any ideas?

Pics of it from last night:
    standing.jpg
    vent.jpg

2. ksguy

ksguy Songster

Jun 9, 2015
    Kansas
    After doing some more research it seems my strongest lead at this point is vent gleet or some other fungal type infection. I forgot to mention that there's definitely an "off" smell about her, even after the little bath she got to clean her fuzzy bum.

I'm going to start apple cider vinegar in the water, and a little antibiotic ointment on the tush to help keep things lubed up and protected.

3. ksguy

ksguy Songster

Jun 9, 2015
    Kansas
    Update for anyone who read this, the chick did not make it through the night last night, and took one other chick with it - one of our silkies. Another silkie is very sick this morning, and likely won't make it through the day. :(

Based on the posture of the sick bird last night, I believe it was advanced coccidiosis. The sick one this morning is displaying the same symptoms - leg splayed out, laying over, extending one wing, etc. I rushed to TSC and picked up some Corid and gave her a dose, and mixed some with the water for the rest of the flock. I am probably too late for the currently sick one but am hoping for the best.

4. SMarieBarr

SMarieBarr Chirping

May 5, 2019
    I’m sorry you went through this. How is the silkie? I just got 16 day old chicks and Saturday and three have pasty butt. What am I doing wrong? Help

5. SixNolans

SixNolans Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    Beaverdam, Va
    Her vent may be swollen from the cleaning. I used iodine around the vent and then gently clean with water. The. I would put the olive oil around the vent. I had several chicks that had pasty butts at that age.
    She may have been injured during her travels that may cause a funny stance. May want to gently feel for any abnormalities in her legs. Keep her separated from the others. B vitamins are helpful

6. ksguy

ksguy Songster

Jun 9, 2015
    Kansas
    Unfortunately the silkie did not make it through the night that night. :(

She did not end up making it through the night that night. :(

In total we lost 3 birds pretty quickly. Unfortunately, two days ago I noticed another one of the chicks - my one ameracauna - showing symptoms. Listless, weak, had to use her wings to hold herself up to eat, etc. I restarted the high-dose Corid (.024%) but I'm not sure she's drinking enough as she was still showing symptoms last night. Tonight I'm going to separate her and moisten her feed with the solution, and give a dose of the oral drench.

On another note, the chicken man came to the farm store nearby and I picked up 4 more silkies. They're doing well in the brooder in the garage, I'm keeping them separated from the other babies until they're older.

7. SMarieBarr

SMarieBarr Chirping

May 5, 2019
    I’m so sorry. I found that the overheating was causing mine. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: