Chick not tolerating medicated food

pepperluvsmee

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2008
Glen Rock, PA
Hey Peeps! I have a 2 week old chick that is having some neurological issues, I think due to the medicated food I just put everyone on.
He is still eating, drinking and being playful, but continuously looks to the right and then the left. I went and got some Infant Multi vitmain drops (With A, D, E, C, Thiamin, Riboflven, Niacin, B6 & B12) and Selenium tabs.
Now, my questions are:
1.Can I just give it to everyone in the water?
2. Do I discontinue the medicated food or will he build up a tolerance for it?
3. How much Liquid vits and how much selenium do I give?

He just started doing this left and right thing this morning.
Thanks guys. I was able to do a search this morning and found enough info to be able to diagnose the little guy and get his meds. I don't know what I would do without wthis forum.
big_smile.png

I had read on this forum that some chicks cannot tolerate the Thiamin blocker in the medicated food and it causes some neurological issues. I hope I typed that right......

What kind of chick is it? Some crested breeds are very prone to brain injuries. If it is a regular chick, I'd keep up with vitamins as it could be genetic. I personally doubt it is the feed. I've had hundreds of chicks over a decade on medicated starter and haven't had this problem ever.

Quote:
It is a Salmon Favorelles chick and it coincidently started a day after feeding the medicated food.
I have never had this problem either. But I guess- better to be safe then sorry, so the little guy is getting vitamins. Its a pain to give them though. He is so little.
-Theresa

I would think it would take more than one day to show neurological symptoms from a thiamine blocker, but if you have non medicated, you can switch them back if you like. Medicated feed only helps them build immunity so isn't necessary. Just have a coccosidant for emergencies when you put them on soil.

I agree that while a thiamine blocker may cause these types of symptoms I don't think you would see it this soon in your chick. Chicks should really only be on medicated feed for their first 6-8 weeks. I made the mistake of running a group on it much longer and did get a pullet develop neurological issues around 14 weeks. I stopped the medicated feed and used the vitamins (which included thiamin) to resolve the problem. It took about a week to see initial improvements and 2 weeks to see major improvement. I have raised a lot of birds as well and only ever had it happen to this one chick. I have since stopped it by 6-8 weeks though as recommended.

Jody

Jody--Actually it was a post you typed on another topic. Regarding chicks and some not being able to tolerate the feed. (Thiamine blocker)
big_smile.png
THANKS!
I have him on a multi-Vitamin, that is about all I can do at the moment.
I only feed medicated food for about 4 weeks. I have never seen this in a chick before either and am puzzled. It started all of a sudden this morning. I think 24-36 hours on a medicated food could possibly be enough time in a chick this small. No one else is showing any signs of distress.
How should I admin the Selenium tablets? Crush them and put in the water with the Vits? Right now I have them all on the vitamins.
-Theresa

I figured it was my post you were referencing. I would wait and see if you notice improvements with the vitamins. Give it a week and you should see something. If not, then I would have to say repost for selenium dosage as I have never used it to offer any advice. I hope your chick recovers.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom