Chick not using one leg, holding up.

Chicken Mama 3

In the Brooder
Oct 29, 2022
First time chicken mama here.
I just hatched out 7 eggs, from my incubator a few days ago and noticed the smallest chick was not walking on one leg. She holds it up and stays under the heat plate. I wonder if it's broken. She stands up when I hold her in my hand but doesn't bear any weight on the one leg/foot. Look's as if the hock is broken. Doesn't look like it's in the right direction. Please help me so I can hopefully save this baby chick and help her walk normally if at all possible.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20221029_215835.jpg
    20221029_215835.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20221029_215618.jpg
    20221029_215618.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221029_215556.jpg
    20221029_215556.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 7
Pictures would help, but it may be a slipped Achilles tendon. I will attach a link and a video which will hopefully help. Sometimes it can be fixed, sometimes not. You should start treatment as soon as possible, the longer it goes on the less likely it will be fixable.
This link, scroll down to "fix slipped achilles tendon in hock joint":
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Video where you can see it going in and out of place:

Pictures would help, but it may be a slipped Achilles tendon. I will attach a link and a video which will hopefully help. Sometimes it can be fixed, sometimes not. You should start treatment as soon as possible, the longer it goes on the less likely it will be fixable.
This link, scroll down to "fix slipped achilles tendon in hock joint":
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Video where you can see it going in and out of place:
Apologies, I thought my video attached guess it didn't go through. I did put some picture's on here after your response.

Thank you for the information.
You were right.

I got her leg put back in place and could tell the difference. I secured the leg with a straw and wrapped it. Also did the chick chair.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom