Chick on my head...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kscottjoyce, Jun 6, 2011.

1. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Just wondering if anyone else has a chick that likes to fly onto your head and stay there for hours as you just go about your business?
    [​IMG]

2. pipthepeep

pipthepeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    my roosters used to like to do that:) they like to get up as high as possible...better view! one of them still does on occasion....not so cute anymore unless I am wearing a hat lol

3. bantam0907

bantam0907 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    My pullet just started doing this! Its so funny [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    I wish I did - Mine hatched on 17 April and I brought them home 2 weeks ago. They are still scared of me & won't come near me!

5. kscottjoyce

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Quote:That is just too funny how chicks love to perch on your hat!

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have a little pullet I named Petite Miss, because she's little, and she will fly up onto my head if I don't pick her up when she thinks I should! [​IMG] She's a cream Brabanter, and totally adoreable.

7. kscottjoyce

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Quote:Usually if I have more than one chick they all freak out when I go near them. My chick was with three others till I gave them to friends recently. Now that the others are gone she has become very friendly and is no longer afraid of me.

8. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I'm telling y'all, when you get pecked in the eye, it's not funny or cute anymore. Yes, I speak from experience. It hurts.

9. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I hate to tell you all. Perching on the head is a dominance thing...
    Most birds associate your face as 'you' - not your feet or hands - face. So they're trying to 'relate' to you directly. Being physically higher up means that you're also 'top bird'.
    Discourage if you can. First time you forget the hat and get poo in the hair, well.....yeah.

10. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I laughed out loud at "...and stay there for hours as you just go about your business". I often have pullets on my knees when I'm sitting in the grass but not on my head! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by