Chick one eye will now not open

He recovered! He slowly began to open both eyes although would still close the hurt one anytime I got near him to pick him up. I washed out his eye w saline solution for the first couple of days and then put neosporin on it every time I went out to check on them. His hair around the eye took a long time to get back to normal so he still looked scraggly. I would say it took about 3-4 weeks for him to get completely better (minus the fuzz around the eyes)

Is your chick any better
? I'm having a similar issue with my Barred rock chick. Except she got worse today out of the blue and won't even walk or stand anymore. I have had her separated for the last several days and was starting to show improvement but then took a turn for the worse....

Is your chick any better
? I'm having a similar issue with my Barred rock chick. Except she got worse today out of the blue and won't even walk or stand anymore. I have had her separated for the last several days and was starting to show improvement but then took a turn for the worse....

I definitely think your chick may have additional issues. I read about a respiratory disease in older birds but they say it's chronic. But you may be fighting cocci which is separate from the eye. I would try giving corid through an eye dropper- double dosage today 4 tsp per gallon of powder form (dosage chart on another post). If she can't walk- it may be too late. Try to also give sugar/honey water or b12 for a boost of energy to get her thru the day while the corid takes effect. I don't know much about the repository disease...

Hey Friend, Im a bit late noticing this post, im new here looking for answers regarding my duck, but I had the same problem with my very little duck. I went and bought Vetericyn, you can get it at any tractor supply its about 20.00 for a small tube of gel. they do have spray, but I got the gel Worth every penny. I applies this in my ducks eye about two times a day, the eye was better with in 24 hours and fully recovered in 36 hours, I could not beleive it. I thought for sure she was going to lose her eye. I looked at your photos and they look exactly the same as my ducks eye. hope this helps if your baby is stil having problems. I have found many uses with this stuff from hot spots on dogs ect. I hope your babies get better.
:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom