help! sick 2-day old baby chick, opening and closing mouth, lethargic, cannot stand up and eyes are closed

duckyes

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2024
please help, I just brought a few day old baby chicks home yesterday, set up the brooder the same way i set up for the first batch of chicks, correct temp under the lamp, medicated feed and water with electrolytes. yesterday she seemed ok but today i found her flopped over on her side under the lamp, cannot stand up and eyes are closed. i tried giving her some sugar water with a dropper earlier and she just kept shaking her head.

now she's just limp on the ground repeatedly opening and closing her mouth. she's not moving much and seems like she's dying. is she having trouble breathing? I attached some pics but can't upload a video

Attachments

• PXL_20240321_140334249.jpg
    PXL_20240321_140334249.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20240321_140202799.jpg
    PXL_20240321_140202799.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 19
What's the temp at the warmest spot? It should be 90-95F if they are just days old. That opening/closing beak reminds me of when they swallow too much water when I've tried to teach them to drink. It stops within a minute though.

If you have some Poultry Cell, I'd give her a couple of drops direct with an eyedropper then put it in all of their water, every other day a couple of times.

It sadly could be a FTT (failure to thrive).

Someone recommend nutridrench to me. Did you get yours from rural king?

I have something similar and unfortunately of the 3 that have something going on i have only one (one died on the way home despite stopping and providing heat and sugar water) and other shortly after I arrived home. The 3rd I have him/her out on a heating pad on O2 and feeding with a syringe.

The one “healthy” chick pooped blood. Today is the 3rd day of coccidia treatment. Chick #3 I am also giving antibiotics because I think he had an URI. If you have apple sauce that’s a great source of sugar

Last edited:
What's the temp at the warmest spot? It should be 90-95F if they are just days old. That opening/closing beak reminds me of when they swallow too much water when I've tried to teach them to drink. It stops within a minute though.

If you have some Poultry Cell, I'd give her a couple of drops direct with an eyedropper then put it in all of their water, every other day a couple of times.

It sadly could be a FTT (failure to thrive).
the warmest spot is around 95F, except she can't move out of the way if it gets too hot or cold because she is completely limp and cannot walk. she still breathes, will flap her wings a tiny bit when I move her, and had let our some very very faint chirps but basically not moving at all. :(

the warmest spot is around 95F, except she can't move out of the way if it gets too hot or cold because she is completely limp and cannot walk. she still breathes, will flap her wings a tiny bit when I move her, and had let our some very very faint chirps but basically not moving at all. :(
i also have to separate her from the rest of her flock with a separate lamp, because they would peck and trample her if i didn't

I would work on giving electrolytes or sugar water by dipping the beak and letting it drink. Do this a few times. Keep the chick warm. Then repeat as often as possible. Offer some raw egg (whipped with a fork) and some watery chick crumbles Look for any dried poo on the vent (pasty butt) and clean off as needed. When they start gasping and become limp, it may be on its way out, but I hope that you can save it. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench is good to have around. Dosage for a chick is 2-3 drops daily, or 1 ml for every 3 pounds of weight in older chickens.

It wasn't in Shawano per chance. I have a bad experience with one here.
nah they are from a place called Sunnyside. the other chicks in the same batch are all lively and fine.

she didn't make it btw, my husband just cried the first time in years after watching her die 😔

Back
Top Bottom