Chick only standing on one leg, has trouble walking.

Platy04

Chirping
Jan 24, 2016
When we took my chick out of the incubator one of her legs seemed to sit oddly. When she walked she would bend the bad leg leaning on the knee, and it would jut out a bit. We put a hobble on tying her legs together to help bring the leg back in. It seemed to improve a bit the 1st day but not much after that. She can now stand up, but only really uses one leg, occasionally using the other for balance like a kickstand, but not really putting much weight on it. We have been trying to do types of physical therapy and I tried to see if it was a slipped tendon by gently pulling the leg back and feeling around but I didn't feel anything. Its keeping her from being able to eat and drink well and I'm concerned It may hurt her later in life if not fixed. Any idea what it is? How to fix it?

Attachments

• 2020043000252795IMG950814.jpg
    2020043000252795IMG950814.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20200430-095314_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200430-095314_Video Player.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 5
Is it twisted? Does it seem like she's in pain when she moves?
It depends on how much she wants to fight and you want to fight for her, but you could make her a sling that would help her get around and maybe she will learn how to use it one her own.
I don't know if there is a deficiency that would make her do that...how old is she?
I currently have a handicapped duck who has a problem with her equilibrium. She's not able to walk on her own, ever since she was a duckling, so we made her a wheelchair so she could get to her food and water. What I've learned is that a lot of problems in chicks is either from the embryo, an injury, or, depending on their age, maybe a deficiency.

She is 4 days old.
The foot seems to angle out a bit, and it looks like she may be uncomfortable. Definitely doesn't trust or want to stand on that leg.
I have just started giving her a chick electrolyte and vitamin mix to see if that helps.

Is there any way of telling whether its genetic or something fixable?
We will keep working with her, I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to fix it if it can be fixed

You sound like a wonderful chicken mother, and I understand where you're coming from. Hopefully we can help!
What breed is she? If it doesn't seem broken or anything, it could just be the way she developed in the egg. Not necessarily, but I don't know if it's fixable or not. With you doing all you can, even if it doesn't go back to "normal," she should still be able to live peacefully. There are other animals, 3 legged dogs or scissor-beaked chickens who can adapt and live a happy life.
If she can learn how to use it in her own way and get food and water, I think she'll be fine. But hopefully you can fix it! You tried the spraddle leg treatment, are you continuing it?
If you take her weight off of her "good leg," does she try to move around and go to her food and water?

She is a mix of an americana and golden laced wyandotte.
We took off the hobble today and have let her try to move around without it to try to strengthen the other leg incase that's the problem, but we will put it back on soon.
Without support she can get around, it's just awkward and she trips and falls a bit making it hard to get to where she wants to go. When I try to help she just leans against my hand to stabilize herself and stands still.

Back
Top Bottom