Chick opening and closing beak. Eyes closed. Can't peep only cough

We've been syringing watery crumble in a similar amount to the medicine. The vet said to keep offering her food and water, but we want her to at least have something. Her walking is a little better, but she needs to get eating.
Maybe pedialyte would be good? I've heard of that for chickens, might help if the antibiotics has crushed the chicks ability to digest the carbs in crumble. It's more accessible basic calories and electrolytes.

@BY Bob @micstrachan , we check up on her every few hours and have been feeding late morning, noon, evening, and midnight depending on how full her crop is. Food is passing through the crop, but poop has little substance.

On a good note, she did poke around at some feed in a cup and on the ground a bit more, but not enough to where I'm confident she's getting enough on her own.

The feed we've been giving has probiotics.
IMG_20210725_152414597.jpg
IMG_20210725_153017398.jpg

The feed we've been giving has probiotics.View attachment 2773403View attachment 2773404
The probiotics may help replenish things in the gut but isn't a caloric or electrolytic help on an emergency level. And with chicks things go to emergency fast. I'm no chicken expert but I do know about people illnesses in this regard.

Sugar and salts in the Pedialyte, SavAChick & NutriDrench forms supply nutrients & vitamins directly so that her body doesn't have to actually digest much to get the energy and electrolyte balance she needs. Like ill people and children are given the sugar. salts and sometimes vitamins directly (by mouth) they need to just survive the illness. Probiotics is not the same thing. I'm suggesting a supplement that gives them a digestible form of sugar and electrolytes for the calories to help the chick just survive while it's gut works out the problem, which probiotics should help with eventually but aren't the emergency go-to I would use. Just my opinion, though, ask the experts on the illnesses forum and your vet! Sending good thoughts to you and little Platina.

@BY Bob @micstrachan , we check up on her every few hours and have been feeding late morning, noon, evening, and midnight depending on how full her crop is. Food is passing through the crop, but poop has little substance.

On a good note, she did poke around at some feed in a cup and on the ground a bit more, but not enough to where I'm confident she's getting enough on her own.
Eating on her own is good, but yeah, you might beed to supplement. I high recommend you get some baby bird formula to have on hand for emergencies. I use Kaytee exact, which you can get on Amazon.

I gave just some suggestions in a different post. I will read up to see hoe things are going.

This morning we found her by the waterer. She had fallen over and was cold. We worked on warming her up. While I was sitting with her, I checked her bum. It was thoroughly sticky. While I could not clear all of it, I managed to clear the vent. After a few more minutes Platina was doing much better. I still think she'll need the nutridrench, but I'll need to keep tabs to make sure her vent is clear.

She's now in a smaller separate brooder in the same room. She is eating on her own and I am providing her nutridrench. Poops are healthy and no longer black and watery. Now let's put some weight on this poor chick.

She is now eating and drinking on her own. 5.7 oz today. Now it's just a waiting game for her to gain weight.

Back
Top Bottom