Chick Order Dreaming

I'd like to get some kind of blue-egg layer, but can't find any that fit my "no red, no gold" specs at a price point I can afford right now.
You could order several EEs from Ideal, and butcher or sell any that are the wrong color (which might be some or all of them.)

If you wanted to order from McMurray, their Whiting True Blue might have some that would fit your color preferences (I'm seeing lots of white and some black in photos, and not many red/gold shades.)

Yellow is the result of Gold/Silver split males(Only).
I have seen a "Yellow Partridge Dutch Bantam" pullet that has some pretty obvious yellow on her.
Not male, not gold/silver split.

Can't have red without the gold gene.

So you would rather have any color without gold/red? Even blacks, & whites can hide those colors.

I thought OP was just talking about what colors they want to see in their flock, not the genetics involved. So by saying "no red, no yellow" they would be ruling out all the various shades of red, brown, gold, buff, yellow, cream, etc.

Yellow is the result of Gold/Silver split males(Only).

Can't have red without the gold gene.

So you would rather have any color without gold/red? Even blacks, & whites can hide those colors.

I like black, white, black-and-white, and blue. Lavender would be fine -- and I have 4 split-to-lavender pullets, but I'm not going out of my way for it on purpose.

I know that the red can be hidden under other, dominant genes, but I am going to avoid knowingly introducing it into the flock because I really don't like the look at all.

You could order several EEs from Ideal, and butcher or sell any that are the wrong color (which might be some or all of them.)

I might have to resort to that -- but probably wouldn't until at least fall -- but given that EEs are a gamble on egg color to start with it's very inefficient.

I thought OP was just talking about what colors they want to see in their flock, not the genetics involved. So by saying "no red, no yellow" they would be ruling out all the various shades of red, brown, gold, buff, cream, etc.

Yes, exactly.

I have seen a "Yellow Partridge Dutch Bantam" pullet that has some pretty obvious yellow on her.
Not male, not gold/silver split.

I thought OP was just talking about what colors they want to see in their flock, not the genetics involved. So by saying "no red, no yellow" they would be ruling out all the various shades of red, brown, gold, buff, cream, etc.
The pullet was probably of ig/ig ,Cb/Cb, or Di/Di to give that color.

Yes, I understand. But still like to add genetics to it.

Yes, that's also what I assumed about the pullet. But you originally said yellow was ONLY in gold/silver split males, without mentioning that the dilution genes can also cause a chicken to show yellow color.
That's because were were talking about gold/Red birds.

I didn't include diluters due to that.

haha - I have an order printed from Sandhill Preservation. I am looking to increase my egg production, and this year I am adding white egg layers. I have brown and blue currently.

I am looking at getting a leghorn assortment. I want to improve my egg laying. I like a mixed flock, I plan to keep one of these roosters for the flock. They come straight run. And you have to get 25. I have a friend that is willing to take half maybe.

This will be some combination of the white leghorn, the brown leghorn, black leghorn, the buff, the red, barred, exchequer, and mille flour leghorn for $2.25 a piece, and that includes shipping.

I love this time of year. The possibilities are endless. But getting 25 when I want 6-8 new pullets is chicken math at it's worst. I keep telling myself, half will be roosters - but limited meat... but I want them anyway. Keeping chickens is not the same as making sense with money. haha

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom