Chick Order Dreaming

Why couldn't you add more? Hatchery policy, or your own limit based on how many total chicks you wanted?

The latter.

Also, time of year -- I don't want to order chicks for late June through August because it's hard to keep them cool enough when 95-95 weather is common.

Seriously, he understands that I'm going to buy an incubator and hatch from the flock and that I have to place an order for the reasons I explained in the original post. but going through over 50# of feed in a week while we wait for birds to sell is too much.
Maybe put an add on craigslist a few months before you get the chicks, and have interested people contact you, so when your chicks arrive you can call them immediately to get the birds (in the order of interest made by contact until they are gone)? Hopefully this would only take a few days, so much less feed.

Maybe put an add on craigslist a few months before you get the chicks, and have interested people contact you, so when your chicks arrive you can call them immediately to get the birds (in the order of interest made by contact until they are gone)? Hopefully this would only take a few days, so much less feed.

That's a good idea for the flock moving forward.

So far the rational for selling them as started or POL birds is to give me time to choose the ones that seem best.

For example, right now I'm selling the 2 worst Blue Australorp cockerels and keeping the three best. In a couple months I'll pick one of those and sell the others (or eat them if they turn mean).

I assumed all leghorns would improve egg laying. I've found differently in both research and my own. It
Well dang it... but I think I am still going to try them. I will report back. But you were right, I am moving a bit away from the dual purpose, to more or a egg laying flock and a meat flock. And that was what I was hoping for.

Well dang it... but I think I am still going to try them. I will report back. But you were right, I am moving a bit away from the dual purpose, to more or a egg laying flock and a meat flock. And that was what I was hoping for.
My rose comb brown from McMurray is big and laid great. She might still be laying, but they all lay the same color now

Ive ordered from ideal before only because i like the fact they send packing peanuts to fill my freezer lol brahmas are a breed id never get seen someone say they have feet issues and ontop of that they take forever to lay and i already got a bird taking to long to lay so ill be selling that hen.

@ 3 killerbee - Delaware ARE nice birds. Very nice. Nice temperament, nice eggs, and nice table birds for a dual purpose breed. I tried them years ago, but really do not like a white bird.

Mrs K

I had Delawares in my in-town flock and liked them.

I do like white birds but would be the last person on earth to criticize anyone else's sense of chicken aesthetics. There are enough chickens in the world that we can all be happy with what our flock looks like. :D

Back
Top Bottom