Chick pecked / injured by others, possible vent infection?

SGH

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
About a week ago I found one of my chicks tail feathers and vent had been pecked by others and it was raw and bloody looking. She is separated and in a bird cage inside the brooder so she can see others. I’ve been applying Vetericyn and Blue Kote. It has been healing up nicely although she is picking feathers herself. I do not believe she has injured herself, I believe she has just made the bald spot 3 times larger. I believe she does this after I apply medicines.

My biggest worry is I’m wondering if her vent is infected and if she may need antibiotics? She seems like she is in extreme pain and cries out loudly every time she poops.
She is eating and drinking good and otherwise seems healthy

Attachments

• IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 21
Is she constipated or when she poops, is it normal? Coconut oil, chilled and cut into small chunks can help to lubricate her Give her about a tsp per day. She is probably sore from the vent injury. Are they overcrowded? Vent pecking can lead to cannibalism. How much protein is in the food, and what all are you feeding? Do they get outside to roam around?

Is she constipated or when she poops, is it normal? Coconut oil, chilled and cut into small chunks can help to lubricate her Give her about a tsp per day. She is probably sore from the vent injury. Are they overcrowded? Vent pecking can lead to cannibalism. How much protein is in the food, and what all are you feeding? Do they get outside to roam around?
She may be constipated, her poop does seem thick / solid. My brooder is 10’ x 6’ with 50 chicks, so they have a little over a square foot per chick. They are growing fast and starting to seem like it’s crowded in my opinion. I haven’t had any others pecking or injured. Fingers crossed but I haven’t lost one chick. They are eating Kamlbach feeds 18% start right chick feed. I have given them access to a little chick grit, just a little at a time. They have not yet been outside to roam around, as there are so many the thought of that seems overwhelming. I have a coop ready, but I’m in AZ and it’s been so dang hot here. It’s been 115 degrees! It’s cooled down this week to 99 and low of 75, but next week going back up to 108 so scared to put them out. FYI, I’m not keeping all 50, some of the neighbors are taking some when they are ready to go outside.

Back
Top Bottom