Chick pecked - Need Advice, Please!

Mjvl

Songster
Hi - New chick mama here. I have 5 - 6 week old chicks of mixed breeds (not 100% sure of their breed). Yesterday, late afternoon I was checking on the girls and I noticed a red spot on one of them. Looking closer, it looked like one of the other chicks pecked its back and pulled a few feathers out. The other chicks are not harmed. I think I know which chick was the ‘aggressor’. I caught it trying to peck the wounded one.

Here are the steps I took so far:
- Separated the wounded chick from the others, in a dog crate in the garage
- Wiped and sprayed the wound with Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Poultry Care Spray
- This morning, I sprayed the wound again and put Neosporin on it

Questions:
- How long should I keep the wounded chick isolated from the others?
- Should I use any other medicine or cover it up?
- Should I put the dog crate outside next to the coop/run so the other chicks see it?
- How long should I keep putting spray on the wound?
- What’s the best way to introduce this chick back to the flock? At night? In the morning?
- The ‘aggressor’ doesn’t seem to bother the other chicks, should I remove it first before re-inducing the wounded chick?

Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• F3BC7146-F5BC-414B-9F5A-947FB997DE4D.jpeg
    F3BC7146-F5BC-414B-9F5A-947FB997DE4D.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 18
  • B805E4F1-6221-4017-8650-2796591C5CE4.jpeg
    B805E4F1-6221-4017-8650-2796591C5CE4.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 5
  • C74B0E98-ED53-4386-9BAA-A55C4C324913.jpeg
    C74B0E98-ED53-4386-9BAA-A55C4C324913.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 5
Buy Blu-Kote at a feed store and put it on the chicks back. The bottle comes with a dauber and it's very runny, so be careful when using it because it will stain everything if you let it drip. Wear disposable gloves when applying it to the chick. If you get it on you, it'll have to wear off. The others wont pick at the wound no more.
https://www.drnaylor.com/product/blu-kote/

Buy Blu-Kote at a feed store and put it on the chicks back. The bottle comes with a dauber and it's very runny, so be careful when using it because it will stain everything if you let it drip. Wear disposable gloves when applying it to the chick. If you get it on you, it'll have to wear off. The others wont pick at the wound no more.
Thank you, I try this out.

Thanks for the advice, @dawg53 - I picked up the Blu-Kote and put it on the chicks back this afternoon. I still have her separated and plan to put her back with the others tomorrow morning.

Should I keep her separated? She’s been apart from them for 2 days? Or is it OK to put her directly in the run before the others are let out of the coop?

It would be best to put her in the coop tonight while it's dark outside. That way she can go out with the others in the morning. The other chicks wont know any better.

It would be best to put her in the coop tonight while it's dark outside. That way she can go out with the others in the morning. The other chicks wont know any better.
Good suggestion, @dawg53 - thank you. They all came out together this morning and they seem to get along - no pecking observed (yet). I set up a Ring camera to watch them while I’m working. Thanks again!

I would suggest just regular blue food dye. Blukote dries out the skin, due the alcohol.

Blue will discourage pecking, & allow it to heal without nobody pecking at it.

Had a vent pecking issue, & all I did was wash the area, apply Triple Antibiotic ointment, & covered in food dye. They left her alone afterwards. She's all healed up.

I would suggest just regular blue food dye. Blukote dries out the skin, due the alcohol.

Blue will discourage pecking, & allow it to heal without nobody pecking at it.

Had a vent pecking issue, & all I did was wash the area, apply Triple Antibiotic ointment, & covered in food dye. They left her alone afterwards. She's all healed up.
Thanks @MysteryChicken - I’ll keep an eye out for dry skin and add ointment to the area as needed,

Back
Top Bottom