Chick pics! Does anyone want to guess what colour they will turn out- Silkies/Pekins

Yes! But I've hatched a little egg of my own in the meantime (easy to tell this one will be a rooster, no waiting there). Grabbed a couple of shots at dinner time tonight though:

1. Phantom. Haven't heard a crow yet but 100% sure he is a cockerel. Definitely white.
View attachment 2371387
2. Obsidian. The surprise packet, was completely black at day old when i picked him, but has heaps of leakage- ?partridge or can anyone guess whats under there? This boy has been crowing so another definite Roo.
View attachment 2371388
3. Amelia. Appears to be a little lady. Despite having partridge chick down she's really just black with a bit of partridge leakage. Still the smallest.
View attachment 2371389
4. Cleo. Also a pullet. Not sure what you'd call her colour. Gray? Silver partridge?
View attachment 2371390
Amelia and Cleo roosting in a nestbox.
View attachment 2371393
5. Camille. Was convinced she was a roo- by far the friendliest, way slower to feather than Nora but given that she hatched in early June and its now October i think i might be lucky there. Definitely splash.
View attachment 2371395
6. Nora. Another splash from an egg labelled blue. Also another hen i think though slightly redder comb, but not very developed.
View attachment 2371397
7. Marion. Another one I was convinced was a roo from her lack of tail feathers early on. Has some saddle feathers now but all rounded. I'm thinking pullet? Silver Laced Wyandotte.
View attachment 2371398

Does anyone agree with me? Or can clarify the silkie colours?
Anyone else with more updates?
Are you sure Cleo isn't blue? Were these ordered eggs, or from your own stock (can't remember)? I'd call obsiduon partridge for sure, looks like mine. Nora is pretty.. splash is the color most people are going for from their blue stock.

I'm fixated on blue at the moment.. my big silkie girl Bella ended up being blue, and i *just* got a self blue cochin and blue frzzle cochin!! 3 weeks old now.. very confident they are girls, Iris and Violet 🥰

Your birds are very very beautiful!!

I hadn't thought of blue as i didn't see any blue or splash in the parent stock when i went to pick them up, and her chick down didn't seem like a blue. However, I didn't see all the chickens so maybe she is? Have you got pics of your blues?

I hadn't thought of blue as i didn't see any blue or splash in the parent stock when i went to pick them up, and her chick down didn't seem like a blue. However, I didn't see all the chickens so maybe she is? Have you got pics of your blues?
So self blue is another name for "lavender", but the blue gene can be carried and still come out black, blue, or splash. On the BBS blues, they are still somewhat dark, but when you have them next to black, you can see that they just aren't as dark. Mine is still young, 23 weeks, so I'll repost after she molts.. but depending on how the light hits her, you can see the blue. Mostly on the butt area and softer feathers.

Here is Bella, she is a BBS blue silkie
20201013_135314.jpg
20200822_123700.jpg

And here are my two new cochin chicks.. you can see the self blue is very uniform, really its own color.
20200925_161552.jpg
20200926_151827.jpg

The frizzle cochin is a BBS blue.. first pic is 2 days old, and then 2.5 weeks.. but very similar to the silke where the darker parts are pretty dark.
20201012_145539.jpg

Back
Top Bottom