Chick pile

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4 luv of eggs, Jun 17, 2010.

1. possumqueen

possumqueen Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Quote:I can take pictures for you if you'd like? [​IMG]

ooooh! oooh!! yeah!!! pics please! [​IMG]

2. bjash

bjash Chirping

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    I will once I get home from work (about 6 hours).

Here's one when they were a few days old in the brooder box:

[​IMG]

As they have gotten older, they have started laying closer to each other (almost on top).

3. MammaMoose

MammaMoose In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    My 6 youngins used to all pile into the same nesting box at night. 3 on the bottom and 3 more on top of them. Ever since the "dog incident" that took 3 of our girls...the remaining 3 still sleep together. Although, the older they get, it's getting harder to share the same box. It's funny to peek in at night and seek 2 chicken butts and one head staring back at you. I just hope when they start to lay eggs they don't try to still share the same space.

4. myminicooper

myminicooper In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    San Fernando Valley
    I have 6, 9 week old hens and they all chicken pile in a corner of the coop at night to sleep, and through out the day when in the run or free ranging, they will stop to do a pile for a few minutes before moving on to more grass and bugs. It's cute, but they are so big now that I feel bad for the small one on the bottom!!

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Quote:All I can see of the poor rooster is his tail feathers sticking out one end and his head sticking out the other.

6. bjash

bjash Chirping

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    He's just getting friendly with his ladies [​IMG]

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    my eight 6-week+ olds dogpile each and every night on the little platform in front of the pop door. I have to 'shoo' them into the actual coop because they stuff all eight of their fat little bodies (they are FAT, compared to some I have seen on here of the same age) onto a 12x12 inch platform. It's pretty cute, although somewhat annoying [​IMG].

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I have 2 Silver Sebrights and a bantam Buff Brahma and bantam Black Cochin that dogpile in the entrance of their night-time lodging (it's the Duck House, but the ducks never use it) every evening. I have to shoo them inside, too. They don't hesitate when I do this, like they're WAITING for the official "Go to bed!" order. Like Featherz, I think it's cute although somewhat annoying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: