Chick piping, Its almost out now.

dragonchick

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 30, 2007
I finally got a single chick trying to zip out of its egg but it seems to be having a problem that I may have caused. When I put the eggs in the hatcher I put them in egg carton sections. These are the foam cartons and the chick seems to be having some trouble with it. I didn't cut the sections down so they are the full height. The chick is trying to zip against the side of the foam section and not getting very far. Should I sit on my hands or should I tip the egg out of the carton section so it can get out of the egg? I will wait until told to do something.

Last edited:
This should not be possible but it appears it is. My little chick has zipped all the way around its shell but the membrane seems intact. I can see it very well. How can I get it to where the chick can get out without jeopardizing the other eggs? Mist with water? there are sponges in the hatcher and they are still wet. One sensor reads 75% humidity and the other reads 60%. Why is it shrink wrapped?

I've seen that many times with my eggs. That sounds like the outer membrane that you're seeing. Not the inner. I'd give it more time. It's taken some of my chicks 12 hours to go from pip to zip to popping out. Sometimes it looks like they didn't pierce that outer membrane all the way through but after several good pushes, they'll get it off. How long has it been since it's zipped?

Honestly I don't know how long its been because I just started hearing it at about 8:45 this morning. The little chick is still pushing against the membrane and cheeping loudly so hopefully its getting some air. I have to go pay some bills, maybe it will look more promising when I get back in a couple hours.

The little chick is still not out of the shell however I can see its beak. Its still cheeping loudly. How much longer should I wait before I worry about him not being able to get out? The membrane I can see looks white instead of opaque.

Still not out and the membrane looks to be drying further. The little chick doesn't seem to be trying to get out as much as it was earlir.

You can remove it, take a sharp pointed thinly bladed knife, and work around the membrane. Wrap the egg first in a damp warm paper towel, and have a bowl of warm water next to your hand. Where the membrane is already torn, put the tip of the knife in, sharp edge facing away from the egg and nick a small amount of membrane open. Using te knife, fold it back. Don't rip it down the egg. If it's clear, no blood, moisten the next bit and go a bit more, but try to open around the air sac space rather than the length of the egg. When it's half done, use your finger to dampen any remaining membrane and put the egg back. Make sure the chicks beak is at the point you STOP. Chick should then make it the rest of the way.

pop.gif

Waiting to see the response...I have 3 the exact same way..been that way since yesterday...chirping is getting louder and they look like they are drying out from what I can see through the viewing window...my hygrometer reads 76% and I calibrated it before setting.

Is the weather odd over there? Lots of developed but hatching issues going on across the board....

If you do help it to get a bigger opening, DO NOT take it from the bottom half of the shell, it needs to do that itself or it's umbilical will not tear properly and it will bleed for hours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom