Chick pipped low! Now what?

CorinneBHappy

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2020
Hi, I'm incubating for the first time. 2 of my 3 surviving eggs pipped. One pipped really low. She popped through between noon and 1pm today: Monday June 8th. How long should i wait before giving her a hand? Shes breathing and responds to light. Her membrane seems harder than it should be. I'm assuming shes in real trouble but I'm not positive the third will pip (the egg was so dark it was really hard to candle)...so I'd love to save my 2 pippers. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I did read the article on step by step assisting but it was unclear whether to wait 8-10 hours to assist this malplacement or to really "wait wait wait" I don't want to do the wrong thing!

This is from when we first noticed the pip

Attachments

• IMG_20200608_131650_568.jpg
    IMG_20200608_131650_568.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 11
In my experience the ones that pip at the wrong end do so early and rarely make it. That makes it hard to go in and help because you do not want to jeopardize the humidity level for the other eggs. I would wait to help since another one has pipped.

In my experience the ones that pip at the wrong end do so early and rarely make it. That makes it hard to go in and help because you do not want to jeopardize the humidity level for the other eggs. I would wait to help since another one has pipped.
The other just hatched! Im waiting until she gets fluffed and im going to intervene. The low pip is still active inside but not much movement in the shell. Does that make any sense? Still no movement on the third egg (which has now been knocked over by my baby chick)

So, I intervened somewhat. Zipped the shell and removed some of the outer membrane. Saw a small area of blood and the veins are pretty full. I waiting as looking as possible to continue helping. In youre collective experience if I leave this chick alone, assuming she can absorb the yolk etc, will she continue to do so? Im waiting for the veins to empty. First hatch doing amazing. Some scratching can be heard in egg #3. I'll wait another day before floating it right?

It sounds like you are an old pro. Do not hesitate to intervene it will be great experience. Then get some more eggs and do it again.

Back
Top Bottom