Chick pipped on the side of egg

Hld93

Chirping
May 8, 2021
Hi, my chick pipped on the side towards the bottom of the egg and has made no progress in 8 hours but is wiggling. Should I turn the egg facing up where it pipped?

Hi, my chick pipped on the side towards the bottom of the egg and has made no progress in 8 hours but is wiggling. Should I turn the egg facing up where it pipped?
I would, just so that you can keep a closer eye on it. Because it didn't pip into the air cell first the time it would have been internally pipped is added onto the externally pipped stage, so it could take up to 48 hours to start to unzip. Most chicks can hatch all by themselves when they pip at the narrow end of the egg, but occasionally they need a bit of help. :fl for your little one.

I would, just so that you can keep a closer eye on it. Because it didn't pip into the air cell first the time it would have been internally pipped is added onto the externally pipped stage, so it could take up to 48 hours to start to unzip. Most chicks can hatch all by themselves when they pip at the narrow end of the egg, but occasionally they need a bit of help. :fl for your little one.
Thank you. It did pip on the correct side of the egg, just on the bottom/side. So I believe it's made it thru the air cell. I just wasn't sure if I should face it up correctly or not? It still hasn't made any more progress.

Thank you. It did pip on the correct side of the egg, just on the bottom/side. So I believe it's made it thru the air cell. I just wasn't sure if I should face it up correctly or not? It still hasn't made any more progress.
They can take up to 24 hours to start to unzip. If you candle the eggs before lockdown you can place them so that the low side of the air cell is facing up. Chicks should pip at the low side, but sometimes they can be in the wrong position and pip into the high side. Just keep an eye on it - as long as it can breathe it should be just fine.

They can take up to 24 hours to start to unzip. If you candle the eggs before lockdown you can place them so that the low side of the air cell is facing up. Chicks should pip at the low side, but sometimes they can be in the wrong position and pip into the high side. Just keep an eye on it - as long as it can breathe it should be just fine.
Ok, thank you so much!

Our little love has made its entrance about 30 minutes ago!
20210630_082636.jpg

Back
Top Bottom