Zipping issues.

Sherbear4183

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
I am new to chickens. Our chick started pipping yesterday. It zipped half way through the egg during the night and hasn't made much progress in the last 10 or so hours. We are scared to assist. It's still moving and chirping. I'm not sure if we should do anything. This has been going on for about 30 hours.

Attachments

• 20240411_145539.jpg
    20240411_145539.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 24
I agree in that I would assist now. When I have to assist I turn the shower on to as hot as it will go then wait until the room is steamy. That way I have lots of humidity to help with the removing of the shell.

'after' they have a hole and it looks like they worked on it but it didnt go nowhere, 24 hours is about when you should assist, just peel slowly with the goal of opening the end and let them push out themselves .. if it starts to bleed stop, but it will likely need more help in a few hours once you initiate help like that ..
.. the trickier one is the guy that just pipped and cracked the shell, and most of the others zipped already .. theres a critical couple hours there that if hes peeping he needs only an airhole atm .. hard to spot those ..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom